|REVISED December 12, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #44
Draft 2016-17 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER)
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Bill O'Shea, Community Development Project Manager, X6858
Geri Lopez, Director, X3937
Public Hearing to receive citizen comments on the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership Program (HOME), and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) draft 2016-17 Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER), and authorization for staff to finalize the report and submit it to HUD.
24 CFR 91.520
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires jurisdictions receiving federal grants to complete and submit a performance report no later than 90 days from the end of the program year.
- The performance report, called the Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER), details Manatee County's progress in addressing the goals and objectives identified in its approved 5-Year Consolidated Plan. This report provides HUD with information in meeting its requirement to assess each grantee's ability to carry out programs in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations. It also provides information necessary for HUD's Annual Report to Congress.
- This is the fifth and final reporting year for the 2012-2017 Consolidated Plan. The CAPER details the expenditures and accomplishments of all CDBG, HOME, and ESG activities during the program year.
- Manatee County is an entitlement community for the Community Development Block Grant Program. In order to receive funding, the County must have a HUD approved 5-Year Consolidated Plan and an annual Action Plan for each of the 5 years.
- The 2012-17 Consolidated Plan and the 2016-17 Action Plan was approved by the Board of County Commissioners on June 5, 2012, and June 21, 2016, respectively.
- On September 30, 2017, Manatee County completed its 2016-17 program year of the CDBG, HOME, and ESG programs.
- HUD allocated $1,627,663 CDBG, $463,746 HOME, and $145,858 ESG funding for the 2016-17 program year. State Housing Initiative Program (SHIP) funding was used to leverage CDBG & HOME funding on housing rehabilitation/replacement and to fund the down payment assistance program.
- Multi-year projects with prior funding are currently underway. Highlights of housing and community development activities and services completed during the program year include:
- Public Facility Improvements
- Samoset Intersection Improvements - improved turning radius at 18 intersections; expenditures $385,124
- Roadway Resurfacing - 9 roadways resurfaced in unincorporated Manatee County; expenditures $199,758
- Vanderipe Historical Restoration; expenditures $87,500
- United Cerebral Palsy of Southwest Florida (UCP) Adult Day Care Renovations; expenditures $472,944 CDBG/with leveraging investment of $238,180 from UCP
- Public Services
- Centerstone of Florida Rental Housing Subsidies - 3-12 months of rental assistance for clients with behavioral issues that would otherwise be released into homelessness - 51 clients; expenditures $103,251
- Sara's Place - Day Care for the elderly - 5 clients; expenditures $49,600
- Turning Points Project Smile - dentures and orthotic devices for homeless clients - 306 clients; expenditures $70,000
- Turning Points (ESG) - rental assistance to prevent homelessness or provide rapid re-housing of the homeless - 75 clients; expenditures $103,743
- Housing Rehabilitation/Replacement - 15 households; expenditures $1,266,793
- Down Payment Assistance - assisted 18 clients; expenditures $506,761
- HUD requires a formal 15-day comment period and public hearing on the CAPER. The draft CAPER was completed and made available to the public for review and comment beginning on November 27, 2017.
- Notice of the public hearing and the CAPER's availability was published in the Bradenton Herald and 7Dias. The CAPER was also available for review on the County's website, in the lobby of the Redevelopment and Economic Opportunity Department, and at five library locations: Central, South County, Braden River, Rocky Bluff, and Palmetto, through December 12, 2017.
- Today's public hearing is to receive citizen comments on the draft 2016-17 CAPER, and to authorize staff to finalize the report and submit it to HUD. All citizen comments received will be incorporated into the CAPER.
- The CAPER must be received by HUD no later than December 30, 2017.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: 2016-17 Draft CAPER - BCC.pdf
Attachment: Bradenton Herald Proof of Publication - CAPER.pdf
Attachment: 7 Dias Proof of Publication - CAPER.pdf