|REVISED August 22, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #30
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) FY 2017 Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Grant Application
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager,
William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x 7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services,
Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7450 x7432
Adoption of Resolution R-17-101 which authorizes staff to submit a FY 2017 FTA Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Program Grant Application for replacement of 11 Manatee County Area Transit fixed route buses and trolleys, and the rehabilitation (engine and transmission rebuilds) of 18 additional buses in the fixed route transit fleet.
Chapter 341.051, Florida Statutes
Fixing Americas Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
Manatee Connect (Manatee County's 2013 Adopted Transit Development Plan)
- The Fiscal Year 2017 Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Grant Program is a discretionary, competitive Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5339 grant program, which provides funding to finance capital projects to replace, rehabilitate, purchase, or lease buses and related equipment and to rehabilitate, purchase, construct, or lease bus-related facilities.
- In Fiscal Year 2017, FTA set aside approximately $226.5 million in discretionary funds for the Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Program.
- The Public Works/Transit Division developed a robust plan for future growth and build-out in the 25-Year Vision Plan; and this Vision Plan is incorporated in Manatee County's adopted Ten Year Transit Development Plan (TDP) major update (i.e. Manatee Connect). To support this anticipated growth, a new centralized Transit/Fleet facility is now complete. Currently, however, more than 20 percent of the Manatee County fixed route bus fleet exceeds useful life standards, according to both the age of the buses and total vehicle mileage. Therefore, the Public Works/Transit and Fleet Divisions are seeking FTA funding to purchase nine (9) replacement fixed route transit buses and two (2) replacement trolley buses, as well as funds to rehabilitate a fleet of eighteen (18) buses in order to extend their useful life.
- The FTA is currently emphasizing the "State of Good Repair" for all public transit infrastructure and equipment. Completion of the proposed projects will ensure compliance with the FTA's requirement for the State of Good Repair of all public transit infrastructure/equipment and the County's Transit Asset Management Program.
- The Public Works Transit and Fleet Divisions are preparing a FTA 5339 (b) Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Grant Application for purchase of nine (9) replacement fixed route transit buses and two (2) trolley buses, and the funding necessary to complete the rehabilitation for an additional eighteen (18) buses. The total project cost for the bus purchase and bus rehabilitation is $11,633,020, which reflects a cost sharing comprised of $9,306,416 in requested FTA funding (80%) and $2,326,604 (20%) in Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Transportation Development Credits. Staff confirmed that FDOT Transportation Development Credits are available for use as a local match; therefore, no local/county funding match is required.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please provide a copy of the signed Resolution R-17-101 to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org, Ext 7354.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Total Funds of $11,633,020 represents $9,306,416 in FTA Bus and Bus Facilities Infrastructure Investment Program funds and $2,326,604 in FDOT Transportation Development Credits
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: FTA Infrastructure Grant Resolution 17-101.pdf
Attachment: Notice of Funding Availability from the Federal Register.pdf