|REVISED April 8, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #21
Title IV-E Waiver for Adoption Assistance
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Michael Neuges, Human Services Manager
Brenda Rogers, Department Director
Approval for Board Chairman to execute a letter to the Florida Department of Children and Families requesting the reallocation of up to $205,397 from Title IV-E Adoption Assistance funding to Manatee County for July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015. Reimbursement to Manatee County will be 75% of funding spent with Manatee County providing a 25% match not to exceed $51,349.25.
Specific authority 39.0121(7) FS; Law implemented 409.017 FS; and Social Security Act, Section 473
- In October 2006, the State of Florida was approved for statewide waiver allowing federal Title IV-E Foster Care funds to be used for any child welfare purpose rather than being restricted to licensed out-of-home care as generally required under federal law.
- In April 2007, Manatee County entered into an ongoing agreement with the Department of Children and Families (DCF) to receive reimbursement of expenditures for foster care related services at a rate of 50% return per local dollar spent.
- In January 2014, DCF informed Manatee County of an opportunity to obtain up to $205,397 in additional Title IV-E waiver funds by providing a 25% match of $51,349 for Adoption Assistance. These funds, previously utilized by another county, are reportedly at risk of being returned to the federal government if left unused. DCF may only offer to reallocate the Adoption Assistance funds to counties which were included in the Title IV-E Waiver effective 2006, making Manatee County the only eligible candidate.
- The available Title IV-E Adoption Assistance funds are to be used to provide specialized therapeutic parent training, which includes primary support for prospective adoptive parents, or parents with a finalized adoption of a child through the child welfare system or private adoption agency.
- Safe Children Coalition has reportedly seen a rising trend in severe child behavior issues which have jeopardized both short and long-term adoptions. The Coalition has identified 50 adoptive families in Manatee who have reported experiencing significant difficulties with their children. These families would likely benefit from access to trauma informed care focused techniques beyond those used in traditional families designed to help them establish control and deal with their child's behaviors in ways that are nurturing and support attachment.
- On March 19, 2014, the Children's Services Advisory Board reviewed this information and recommended approval for the County to submit a request to Florida Department of Children and Families for reallocation of up to $205,397 in available Title IV-E Adoption Assistance funding to Manatee County for July 1, 2014, through June 30, 2015.
- During the regular funding process for Fiscal Year 14/15, Children's Services Advisory Board will review and screen all program funding applications for eligible services that address adoption assistance and would meet the match requirements. To receive all of the available Title IV-E Adoption Assistance funds, Manatee county would need to fund $256,746 (inclusive of 25% match) for qualifying services through Children's Services Millage during the state fiscal year beginning July 1, 2014. An agreement with DCF would then be drafted to provide the mechanism to claim reimbursement of $205,397 (75% of each dollar spent). Only programs which meet family needs and merit funding will receive recommendation.
- Required match comes from FY15 Children's Services Tax Fund.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
One executed letter to Board Records, one copy of executed letter to Mike Neuges (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Community Services Department #3467.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
25% match - up to $51,349.25 Children's Services
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: BCC letter DCF IVE Adoption Assistance.pdf