|Manatee County Government Administrative Center 1112 Manatee Avenue West First Floor, Commission Chambers, 9:00 A.M.|
Agenda Item #5
PA-14-01 - ORD-14-07 - PLAN AMENDMENT CRA/TCEA - LEGISLATIVE - Kathleen Thompson, AICP
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Kathleen Thompson, AICP
941-748-4501, ext. 6841
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
New Agenda Language:
• One of the recommendations made by the Urban Land Institute (ULI) was that in order to promote successful economic growth there was a need for a greater focus on redevelopment and new development in the southwest quadrant of the County.
• Homes and businesses in the southwest part of the County have aged and the area has lagged behind other areas of the County in terms of growth and development.
• To encourage economic development with a funding source in the southwest area, Manatee County is proposing to create the Southwest Tax Increment Financing (TIF) district under home rule authority.
• The Board of County Commissioners has established two community redevelopment areas (South County CRA and 14th Street West CRA) pursuant to Chapter 163, Part III, Florida Statutes. The existing community redevelopment areas encompass property located within the Southwest TIF district.
• On January 7, 2014, the Board of County Commissioners made a policy decision to proceed with the creation of the Southwest TIF district and to dissolve both community redevelopment areas.
• The first step in eliminating the community redevelopment areas involves terminating the community redevelopment plans. This process requires review by the Manatee County Planning Commission (as the local planning agency) for conformity with the County’s comprehensive plan.
• The provisions of the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan that refer to the community redevelopment areas must be repealed before any changes to the community redevelopment plans are considered.
• Manatee County intends to pursue an alternative concurrency and multi-modal approach for transportation throughout the new Southwest TIF district, the Urban Core, as well as the Urban Infill Redevelopment Area (UIRA) located in North County. These changes will be proposed in the future as County initiated amendments to the Comprehensive Plan.
Previous Agenda Language:
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Maureen Secoria reviewed and responded.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: FLU Map Series Index Feb2014.pdf
Attachment: Map I - TCEA.pdf
Attachment: Map J - TCEA.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - PA-14-01 - CRA -TCEA - CAO MS REVISION.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newpaper Adv - PA-14-01 - ORD-14-07 - CRA - TCEA - 02-13-14PC.pdf