|October 11, 2016 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #35
Amendment Number Two to the Interlocal Agreement for Inter-County Transit Service Between Manatee County and Sarasota County
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x7440
Chad Butzow, Public Works Deputy Director, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org, (941) 708-7432
Approve Amendment Number Two to the Interlocal Agreement with Sarasota County, which governs the provision of inter-county transit services connecting Manatee County and Sarasota County.
Florida Statutes Chapter 341
- Manatee County Area Transit (MCAT) services improve the quality of life for Manatee County residents and visitors by providing, in a cost-efficient manner, a readily-accessible, intermodal means of mobility. These services also reduce the impact of traffic congestion on major roadway corridors in the urban areas of the county by providing an alternative to travel by personal automobile.
- Manatee County and Sarasota County coordinate to provide inter-county public transportation services between the two Counties. Currently, the two Counties jointly operate two routes, the Route 99 which serves the US Highway 41 corridor between the MCAT Palmetto Station and downtown Sarasota, and the Longboat Key Trolley which operates on SR 789/Gulf of Mexico Drive between Coquina Beach and downtown Sarasota.
- In 2007, Manatee County and Sarasota County executed an interlocal Agreement for provision of inter-County Transit Service. That Interlocal Agreement outlines the coordination effort and the roles and responsibilities of each County in regards to the delivery of inter-county transit services.
- On July 26, 2016, the Manatee County Board of County Commission (BoCC) approved the Fixed Route Optimization/Restructuring Plan. Certain elements of that plan impact the inter-county transit services connecting Manatee County and Sarasota County. Phase 1 implementation of the Route Optimization and Restructuring Plan occurs on November 12, 2016, which impacts inter-county transit service along the US Highway 41 corridor between Manatee County and Sarasota County. Phase 2 would impact Longboat Key services, along Gulf of Mexico Drive, connecting Manatee County and Sarasota County.
- Phase 1 Impacts: To improve on-time performance, the Route 99/US Highway 41 corridor transit service terminates at the Downtown Bradenton Station. The service from downtown Bradenton to downtown Sarasota continues as service operated by both Manatee County/and Sarasota County; however, Manatee County/MCAT assumes sole responsibility for the US 41 Highway transit corridor connecting the Downtown Bradenton and Palmetto Stations.
Phase 2 Impacts: Manatee County/MCAT is developing an alternative form of transit service tailored to specific customer needs in Longboat Key, and focused on the service area from the Coquina Beach Transfer Center to Bay Isles, while providing service connectivity to Sarasota County/SCAT service at Bay Isles.
As a result of these service modifications, the Interlocal Agreement between the two counties must be amended. Staff recommends that the BoCC approve Amendment Number Two of the Interlocal Agreement for Inter-County Transit Service between Manatee County and Sarasota County, and authorize the Board Chairperson to execute the amended Interlocal Agreement.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Review of the amended Interlocal Agreement was completed.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the Board Action/Approval and two original/signed Interlocal Agreements to Ryan Suarez, Transit Division Planning Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, (941) 747-8621, x 7622.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Ssecond amended and restated interlocal regarding inter-county transit services (00207062)_100316.pdf
Attachment: CAO Comments - RLS 2016-0657.pdf