|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor, Chambers November 15, 2016 - 6:00 PM|
Agenda Item #2
LDCT-16-02/Ordinance 16-06 - Land Development Code Text Amendment - Urban Corridors - Legislative - Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Lisa Barrett, Planning Manager, 941-748-4501 ext. 6884
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and in accordance with Section 341 of the Land Development Code, I move to adopt Manatee County Ordinance 16-06, amending the Manatee County Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• For many years, the land development regulations in Manatee County have been stagnate, with periodic updates to only certain sections of the code. It is now the County’s goal to continually update and improve its land development regulations to maintain and be current in the most up-to-date land use practices.
• After the reorganization of the code in June of 2015, one of the top priorities identified was how to promote redevelopment within the urban area of the county, where development has declined for the past few decades.
• The current land development regulations do not accommodate the needs of these older and established urban areas. The existing regulations prescribe “suburban” types of uses and development pattern, making infill, development and redevelopment in these areas more difficult and more expensive than in undeveloped areas of the county. These regulations limit reinvestment, as evidenced by the number of vacant, underutilized and distressed buildings.
• The County hired Littlejohn Consultants to review our existing regulations and make recommended changes to the regulations that would improve opportunities for infill, redevelopment and development within the urban area, along the Urban Corridors. The project scope does not include residential subdivisions or existing residential neighborhoods, just the lands along major corridors in Southwest County’s Urban Service Area. These major corridors include portions of the Tamiami Trail, 15th Street East, 53rd Ave/SR 70, Cortez Road, Manatee Avenue, and 1st Street within the Urban Service Area of the County.
• The LDC Amendments follow the Comprehensive Plan Amendments (PA-16-01/Ordinance 16-07) that were adopted on June 19, 2016.
• Several obstacles were identified in the review of the existing land development regulations, including the fact that there are no zoning districts along the urban corridors that would encourage feasible mixed-use developments. Other obstacles identified included restrictive development densities, intensities and height, and site development standards that have resulted in suburban development pattern that is heavily dependent on automobile traffic and have made it difficult to redevelop existing constrained sites.
• Staff recommends approval of the amendments.
• On October 13, 2016, by a vote of 5 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
• The Board of County Commissioners held the first hearing on November 3, 2016. No action was necessary at this hearing.
• A summary of the public comments from the November 3, 2016 Board of County Commissioners public hearing are attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by emails to Matter 2016-0343 on April 6, August 23, 31 and September 16, 2016.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and Letter from the Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - LDC Urban Corridors -revised for BOCC .pdf
Attachment: Ord 16-06 Urban Corr LDC 9-26-16.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC Text_Ch2_Definitions_v3.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC Text_Ch3_RevAuthProcedures_v4.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC TEXT_Ch4_Zoning_v5.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC TEXT_Ch5_AccesSpecUses_v2.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC TEXT_Ch7_EnvCultResProt_v2.pdf
Attachment: LDC ORD UC TEXT_Ch9_DesGuide_v6 with updated map 9-9.pdf
Attachment: 3. Assessment Report 12012015.pdf
Attachment: 4.a - Innovation41_Plan_071406_Final_MRes.pdf
Attachment: 4.b - Manatee Council of Government.pdf
Attachment: 4.c - 2010 FINAL ONE BAY VISION BROCHURE.pdf
Attachment: 4.c - ONE BAY General Overview & Findings RAT 12-17-08.pdf
Attachment: 4.c - ONE-BAY_FACTSHEET_July 2009.pdf
Attachment: 4.c - Outcome Report ManateeCounty.pdf
Attachment: 4.d - Tamiami_Trail_Corridor Plan.pdf
Attachment: 4.e - How Will We Grow Report 021113_hi res graphics.pdf
Attachment: 4.f - ULI FINALManateeCounty_PanelReport.pdf
Attachment: 4.g - Sierra club - A Guide to America's Best New Development Projects.pdf
Attachment: Public Comment - Urban Corridors.pdf
Attachment: Newspaper advertising.pdf