|November 12, 2015 - Planning Commission Meeting|
Agenda Item #6
PDI-15-01(P) – Amsdell Storage Ventures XXII, LLC/Compass Self Storage (F.K.A Climatized Storage) DTS#20150085 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
Danielle Walker, Planning Tech II
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend ADOPTION of Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDI-15-01(P); APPROVAL of the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.3, B.1-B.2, C.1, and D.1-D.2; GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) in the MU Future Land Use Category (FLUC) and 2) in an Entranceway; ADOPTION of the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval for an alternative to LDC Sections 402.13.D.3, as recommended by the staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
- The applicant, Amsdell Storage Ventures, XXII, LLC, request approval of a Preliminary Site Plan to add 8,525 square feet (33 units/two one-story buildings) to an existing self-storage mini-warehouse facility. The 2.77± acre site has frontage along the north side of University Parkway (arterial) and is bounded by Florida Street (local road) to the east, and Georgia Street (local road) to the west. The site is in a designated Entranceway and requires Special Approval.
- On September 11, 2007, the Board of County Commissioners approved a rezone and a Preliminary Site Plan [PDI-05-18(Z)(P)] for a four-story, 99,500 square foot building for 570 self-storage mini-warehouse units and a 1,032 square foot office. Because this type of use has a low parking demand, Specific Approval was granted to allow parking spaces to be calculated based on a parking ratio of one space per 5,000 square feet. 27 parking spaces were provided. A Final site Plan was issued and the building was constructed. No new parking spaces are being added with this request.
- The site is in the MU (Mixed Use) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). All projects within the MU FLUC require Special Approval. The MU FLUC lists light industrial and warehouse uses in the range of potential uses.
- The current PDI (Planned Development Industrial) zoning district is consistent with the MU FLUC. PDI zoning provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate any potential adverse impacts on the existing single-family residence which is on the adjacent property southwest of the existing storage building. The existing 20-foot wide perimeter buffer with a six foot high decorative wall separates the storage facility from the residence.
- The PDI zoning requires a 30-foot setback along all streets. Staff supports the applicant’s request for Specific Approval to allow a reduced setback of 15 feet along Florida Street and Georgia Street because the reduction is not anticipated to cause any operational problems to the two adjacent dead-end streets or impact any sight distances.
- The proposed Floor Area Ratio (FAR) of .90 (entire project) is below the maximum FAR requirement (1.00) for the MU FLUC.
- The proposed project is designed to have two new access points; one connecting Florida Street and the other Georgia Street, for a total of five access points for the entire storage facility. Florida Street and Georgia Street are dead end roadways that convey exit and entry site traffic via direct connections onto University Parkway. An Interlocal Agreement (between Manatee County and Sarasota County) for University Parkway designates University Parkway as a “controlled access facility” (direct access to University Parkway is limited).
- The project is in the A and X Flood Zone Categories. Flood Study information determining the Base Flood and Flood Protection Elevations must be submitted and approved by the Manatee County Building Official prior to Final Site Plan approval.
- The site has no wetlands. The design shows a large retention pond in the northern part of the site. There are no known historic or archaeological resources on the site.
- Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on 10/14/2015.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Compass Self Storage - PDI-15-01(P).pdf
Attachment: Maps - Compass Self Storage - PDI-15-01.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request - Compass Self Storage - PDI-15-01(P).pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Statement - Compass Self Storage Expansion - PDI-15-01(P) - 11-12-15PC.pdf
Attachment: Affidavit of Publishing - Compass Self Storage - PDI-15-01(P) - Sarasota Herald Tribune - 11-12-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Compass Self Storage fka Climatized Storage - PDI-15-01(P) - Bradenton Herald - 11-12-15 PC.pdf