|May 12, 2015 - Work Session|
Agenda Item #2
Countywide Speed Limits
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager
Work Session. No Action Required.
- Florida Statute (F.S.) Section 316.008(j) - Power of Local Authorities
- F.S. Section 316.189 - Establishment of Municipal and County Speed Zones
- During a previous regular Board of County Commissioners' (BoCC) meeting, setting speed limits within the County was discussed. Subsequently, during the January 20, 2015, work session, staff presented the criteria and process of setting speed limits.
- Several examples of inconsistent speed limits on County Roads were presented, such as, Honore Avenue, Lakewood Ranch Boulevard, Lockwood Ridge Road, 75th Street West and El Conquistador Parkway. The BoCC agreed that there is a need to set consistent speed limits to meet drivers' expectations.
- Since the January 2015 work session staff has conducted a traffic analysis of major thoroughfares countywide for consistency of speed limits.
- Staff will present recommendations to the BoCC during this meeting for future direction and action.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Countywide Speed Limits - Slides.pdf
Attachment: Follow Up Memo - Countywide Speed Limits.pdf