|Manatee County Government Administrative Building First Floor - Chambers May 11, 2017 - 9:00 am|
Agenda Item #11
PDMU-16-02(P) - Gulfside Homes/Bowlees Creek, LLP/Blu Harbor - 20160121 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner, 941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
RECOMMENDED MOTION: (for Denial)
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be INCONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend DENIAL of Preliminary Site Plan [PDMU-16-02(P)] and DENYING Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding a gross density of six dwelling units per acre in the R/O/R Future Land Use Category; 2) exceeding a net density of nine dwelling units per acre in the R/O/R FLUC; 3) exceeding a gross density of nine dwelling units per acre in RES-16; 4) exceeding a net density of 12 dwelling units per acre in RES-16 FLUC; 5) in the Coastal Evacuation Area; 6) partially in the Coastal High Hazard Overlay District; 7) adjacent to a perennial stream; 8) in the Airport Impact Overlay District; 9) modifying a non-conforming structure; DENYING A SPECIFIC FINDING for a project proposing residential building heights of 90 feet in the Airport Impact Overlay District; DENYING the Findings for Specific Approval; and DENY Specific Approval for an alternative to Land Development Code, Section 701, Figure 7-4 [Buffer Screening Matrix; Width of Buffer Required (in feet)], as recommended by the staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The overall 19.01± acre site is north of Bowlees Creek, south of 69th Avenue West, and west of US 41.
• Gulfside Homes/Bowlees Creek, LLP, requests approval of a Preliminary Site Plan for 212 multi-family units; one single-family detached residence; a clubhouse; office/Icon tower; 80 new boat slips and 53 existing boat slips on an approximately 12.04 acre site north of Bowlees Creek, south of 69th Avenue West (Bay Drive), and west of U.S. 41 at 6918-14th Street West, Bradenton.
• On 2/4/2010, the Board of County Commissioners approved a rezone to PDMU (Planned Development Mixed Use) and a Preliminary Site Plan [PDMU-09-10(Z)(P)] for two options; Option A included 144 multi-family dwelling units, including buildings taller than 35 feet; a 200 rack dry boat storage facility (51,000 square feet), and 53 existing wet slips. Option B included 162 multi-family dwelling units, including buildings taller than 35 feet, and 53 existing wet slips. The Preliminary Site Plan expired in 2015.
• On April 4, 2013, the Board of County Commissioners approved a Preliminary Site Plan [PDMU-12-19(P)] for two options (A & B as follows) on 19.01± acres; Option A proposed eliminating the 200 rack dry boat storage, increasing the number of dwelling units to 246 to include a 126-bed or 21-units “Assisted Living Facility” (f.k.a. group care home-LDC), and retained 53 existing wet slips. Option B proposed eliminating the 200 rack dry boat storage and Assisted Living Facility, increasing the number of dwelling units to 246 and retaining 53 existing wet slips. From Option A, only the “Assisted Living Facility” was constructed and called “Discovery Village at Sarasota Bay”. The Preliminary Site Plan will expire April 4, 2018.
• The site is zoned PDMU/AI/CH/WR (Planned Development Mixed Use/Airport Impact and Coastal High Hazard/Whitfield Residential Overlay Districts).
• Special Approval is required because the site is partially in the Coastal Evacuation Area (CEA), and Coastal High Hazard Area (CHHA). Special Approval may be acquired through the planned development process. A Hurricane Evacuation Plan is required to be approved or updated by the Emergency Management Division of the Public Safety Department.
• The entire site is within the boundaries of the AI (Airport Impact) Overlay District.
• The multi-family units are proposed in four (4) seven-story buildings with a maximum height of 90± feet.
• Given the entire site is within the boundaries of the AI (Airport Impact) Overlay District, and subject to applicable AI requirements listed in Manatee County Comprehensive Plan Policy 126.96.36.199, as well as, those requirements listed in Manatee County Comprehensive Plan Policy 5.12 and 5.13; and based on the concerns noted in the Sarasota Bradenton International Airport Authority’s report relative to safety and noise; and to ensure that the proposed development will not create any external impacts that would adversely affect the airport’s flight paths, Staff recommends denial of the proposed 90± foot height for the multi-family residential buildings.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded to Matter 2017-0200 by emails on April 19 & 27, 2017.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - Gulfside Homes - Blu Harbor - PDMU-16-02(P).pdf
Attachment: 2 - Maps and Aerials.pdf
Attachment: 3 - Preliminary Site Plan.pdf
Attachment: 4 - School Report.pdf
Attachment: 5 - SRQ Review Letters.pdf
Attachment: 6 - Specific and Special approval request.pdf
Attachment: 7 - Newspaper Advertising.pdf
Attachment: 8 - Request from SRQ for presentation time..pdf
Attachment: 9 - Public Comments.pdf