|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - July 9, 2015|
Agenda Item #6
PDR-15-02(Z)(G) - SCHROEDER MANATEE RANCH, INC. REZONE/LAKEWOOD NATIONAL GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB AND BRIDGEWATER EAST / (DTS #20150025; MEPS #00000392)-Quasi-Judicial- Stephanie Moreland
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Stephanie Moreland, Principal Planner
Danielle Walker, Planning Tech II
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to recommend ADPOTION of Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDR-15-02(Z)(G); APPROVAL of the General Development Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.9, B.1-B.4, C.1-C.7, D.1-D.2 and E.1-E.3; MAKING a finding that the proposed buildings exceeding 35 feet in height are consistent with and satisfies the criteria in LDC Section 402.7.D.9: GRANTING Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding one dwelling unit per acre in the MU-C/R sub-area of the MU-C Future Land Use Category; 2) adjacent to a perennial stream; 3) in the Evers Reservoir Watershed Protection (WP-E) Overlay District and 4) in the Special Treatment (ST) Overlay District; ADOPTION of Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANTING Specific Approval for alternative(s) to LDC Section 402.7.D.5 (elimination of trees to be planted with greenbelt buffer) and 1001.4.D.1 (cul-de-sacs exceeding 800 feet in length), as recommended by staff.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The site is approximately 1 ¼ miles east of the intersection of Lorraine Road and SR 70 and west of the “Future Development Area Boundary” (FDAB). The site has approximately 7,930± linear feet of frontage along the north side of SR 70 between the future Bourneside Boulevard, to the east, and Uihlein Road to the west. The Braden River traverses the site from east to west and runs southwest to SR 70.
• The site was part of a privately initiated text and map amendment (PA-09-06, Ordinance No. 09-12) which changed the Future Land Use Category (FLUC) to MU-C (Mixed Use Community) and subjects the site to Specific Property-Development conditions in Section D.5.6 of the Comprehensive Plan.
• The site is in the MU-C/R (Mixed Use-Community/Residential) sub-area of the MU-C (Mixed Use-Community) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). The MU-C/R sub-area allows consideration of suburban or urban density planned residential development and recreational uses in its range of potential uses.
• The site is also in the WO (Watershed Overlay) Future Land Use Overlay District. According to Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, Policy 18.104.22.168.2, the purpose of this area is “to maintain and improve the natural and man-made environment and resources in a manner protective of the water supply functions of the Lake Manatee, Evers Reservoir, and Peace River watersheds, which contribute to these preferred potable water sources, so as to maintain water quality and quantity within Lake Manatee, Evers Reservoir, Peace River and all inflowing water courses.” The Land Development Code refers to these areas as Evers Reservoir Watershed Protection (WP-E) and Special Treatment (ST) Overlay Districts.
• Special Approval is required for a project:
• Planned development is the process necessary to achieve Special Approval. PDR zoning provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate potential adverse impacts on the surrounding residential and agricultural neighborhoods.
• The General Development Plan shows the project will comprise of two gated communities; Lakewood National Golf and Country Club, and Bridgewater East.
• Lakewood National Golf and Country Club is north of the Braden River and will include 1,587 residential units; 477 single-family lots and 1,110 multi-family units in two-phases. The project is planned with a 36-hole Golf Course, clubhouse, maintenance facility, practice range, pool and fitness center.
• Bridgewater East is south of the Braden River. 412 lots for single-family residences are proposed in two phases. The design includes 6.46± acres for recreational amenities.
• The overall site has a total of 184.68± acres of wetlands. The 0.13± acre wetland impact is a result of a road crossing.
• LDC Section 1001.1.C, requires a second means of access for residential developments or parts of phases containing more than one hundred residential dwelling units.
• Access to Bridgewater East is via two gated entrances; one connecting SR 70 and the other connecting Bourneside Boulevard. An emergency access is also planned to connect SR 70. Separated by the Braden River, the two developments are planned to be private gated communities with private internal roadways.
• The residential lots in Lakewood National Golf and Country Club will front on private internal roadways which connect a boulevard road. The road crosses the site and connects future Uihlein Road to the west and Bourneside Boulevard to the east. Both roadways will connect SR 70.
• There are no logical connections for inter-neighborhood ties since the site is bordered on three sides by roadways and the remaining side is adjacent to a forested wetland.
• The General Development Plan indicates a mixed of residential unit types to include lots for single-family attached and detached residences, and multi-family units. Single-family detached residences are proposed at a maximum 35-foot building height.
• Proposed multi-family buildings are proposed at a maximum height of 50 feet. According to LDC Section 402.7.D.9, for increases in residential height above 35 feet the BOCC has a factual basis to make a determination that the criteria for allowing building heights above 35 feet are satisfied at this level of review.
• The architectural designs submitted for review, show articulated rooflines, added architectural elements, and façade design which are required in LDC Section 402.7.D.9.
• The site is not within two miles of an existing school. The School Board of Manatee County indicates the site is in School Service Area 2. Schools servicing the site are Gullett Elementary, Nolan Middle, and Lakewood High. Five-foot wide sidewalks will be provided in accordance with LDC Section 1001.6.A.c.
• Staff has a concern that future residents residing on the lots adjacent to SR 70 may be subject to potential noise from vehicles traveling along this roadway. To address any potential noise impacts from SR 70, the General Development Plan shows a 20-foot wide landscaped roadway buffer. Staff recommends the installation of a wall, or berm and wall, or fence with landscaping on the exterior side of the fence, or enhanced landscaping in the buffer along SR 70.
• The applicant requests Specific Approval to allow five cul-de-sacs to exceed the 800-foot requirement and to eliminate landscaping in the perimeter buffer along the site’s northern boundary.
• Staff recommends approval with the recommended stipulations.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk responded by email on 6/22/15.
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps- Future Land Use, Zoning, and Aerials- Lakewood National Golf & CC-Bridgewater East- PDR-15-02(Z)G).pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Lakewood Golf and Country Club and Bridgewater East - PDR-15-02(Z)(G) - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: School Report- Lakewood National Golf & CC- Bridgewater East- PDR-15-02(Z)(G)-7-9-15PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Lakewood National Golf and County Club and Bridgewater East - PDR-15-02(Z)(P) - Bradenton Herald - 7-9-15PC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Lakewood National Golf and Country Club and Bridgewater East - PDR-15-02(Z)(G) - Sarasota Herald - 7-9-15 PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit (Lennar)-Lakewood National Golf & CC and Bridgewater East-PDR-15-02(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit (Schroeder Manatee Ranch)- Lakewood National Golf & CC and Bridgewater East-PDR-15-02(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Special and Specific Approval Request letter- Lakewood National Golf & CC and Bridgewater East- PDR-15-02(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: Large Project Narrative- Lakewood National Golf & CC and Bridgewast East-PDR-15-02(Z)(G)-070915PC.pdf
Attachment: General Development Plan - Lakewood National Golf and Country Club and Bridgewater East - PDR-15-02(Z)(G).pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Lakewood National Golf and CC and Bridgewater East - PDR-15-02(Z)(G) - 7-9-15 PC.pdf