|February 11, 2014 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #27
Historical Commission Appointments
Contact and/or Presenter Information
LaWanda Timmons x3678
Elaine Maholtz x3485
Confirmation and appointment of four members (John Nash, Jan Greene, Hinning Bolanos, Joan Baldy) to the Manatee County Historical Commission as nominated by the Manatee County Historical Commission.
Ordinance 82-15, establishing the Historical Commission, later codified as Section 2-2-76.
- Pursuant to Ordinance 82-15, later codified as Section 2-2-76, which established the Historical Commission, members shall be nominated by the Historical Commission and confirmed and appointed by the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners (BCC). The purpose of the Historical Commission is to collect, read, and preserve historical material related to Manatee County.
- A nominating committee of the Historical Commission made the following recommendations which were approved by the Historical Commission: John Nash; Jan Greene; Hinning Bolanos; Joan Baldy.
- The nominating committee considers persons active within the commission, and there is no formal application process for membership on the commission. The Historical Commission had not received any other applications or inquires.
- Ongoing member, Hinning Bolanos (seat 7), was appointed last year to serve the remaining term of vacancy created by resignation and is therefore eligible to serve again.
- The term of office for John Nash, Jan Greene, Hinning Bolanos, and Joan Baldy begins January 1, 2014, and ends December 31, 2017, in seats 5-8, as dictated by Section 2-2-76. Summary information is noted below.
· John Nash: Chief Financial Officer for Manatee County Rural Health Services. John is very interested in the history of this area with special emphasis on the late Indian habitation to post Civil War Era and the turpentine industry.
· Jan Greene: Volunteer at the Manatee Village Historical Park gift shop and an active member in numerous civic and church organizations. Jan served on the Manatee County Historical Commission previously from 2010 - 2013 and was the 2012 Historical Commission Chairman.
· Hinning Bolanos: Local entrepreneur who volunteers with the local Republican and Toastmasters Clubs. Mr. Bolanos has a keen interest in preserving history as a vital part of our community development.
· Joan Baldy: Has knowledge and experience in social services. Jan has a vast interest in historical preservation, and is a member of several societies, including Daughters of the American Revolution and Manasota Genealogical Society.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Manatee County Historical Commission Appointments.pdf
Attachment: Section 2-2-76.pdf