|December 12, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #35
Capital and Operating Assistance Grant Applications for Section 5310 Formula Grant Applications for the Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities
Contact and/or Presenter Information
William Steele, Transit Division Manager, William.Steele@mymanatee.org, (941) 747-8621 x 7440
Chad Butzow, P.E., Deputy Director of Field Operations Services, Chad.Butzow@mymanatee.org , (941) 708-7450 x 7432
Adopt Resolution R-17-148 authorizing: 1. The submittal of capital and operating assistance grant applications to the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) for Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 funding; and 2. Execution of grant funding documents for FTA Section 5310 capital and/or operating assistance approved funding.
Chapter 341, Florida Statues
Rule 41-2, Florida Administrative Code
Comp Plan 6.0 Mass Transit Element
- The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Formula Grant Program is an FTA program which provides funding to support transportation services to meet the special needs of the elderly and persons with disabilities.
- The 5310 grant program is one funding source with two separate applications required for capital and operating assistance. Thus this agenda item is presenting two 5310 grant applications. One for capital and one for operating assistance.
- The 5310 grants are used by Manatee County for capital and/or operational expenditures to support MCAT Paratransit (i.e. Handy Bus) services. The FDOT serves as the "Designated Recipient" for the FTA Section 5310 Program and eligible applicants must apply to the FDOT for FTA Section 5310 program funding.
- The FTA 5310 grant program is competitive and as such that award is not guaranteed. The program is focused on capital first and operations second. Any award amount will assist the grants or accounts where these expenses are typically incurred.
- The FTA 5310 capital grants have been the traditional funding source for MCAT to replace paratransit vehicles. However, FDOT is requesting applicants for rolling stock equipment must meet both mileage and age requirements to replace existing capital assets. As Manatee County Government continually replaces rolling stock assets on a regular schedule to ensure "state of good repair" status, none of the current handy bus fleet are eligible for replacement in the current grant cycle.
- The FY 2018 capital grant application is for funding for preventative maintenance (PM) expenses. PM activities include routine vehicle maintenance that helps keep the fleet fully functional and helps prevent unscheduled downtime and equipment failure. As such this is considered an eligible capital expense by FTA. The total capital request is for $650,000 in handy bus PM expenses.
- The FY 2018 operating assistance application is a request for operational assistance funding with a total value of $500,000 to support paratransit/handy bus service. The total dollar value reflects a cost sharing with the FTA of $250,000 (50%) and $250,000 (50%) local share requirement. The local funding budgeted and already expended each year for paratransit operations is used for the local match. Typically, the local share is met by in-kind eligible expenses such as operator salaries.
- The FTA operating assistance funding awarded to Manatee County in past years has ranged between $156,000 and $271,000, beginning with funding in FY 2014/15. Typically, capital funding is the FDOT funding priority, so any operating assistance grant award will be utilized to support Handy Bus operating expenses.
The capital application of $650,000 Capital (PM) is comprised of $65,000 County Match (10%), $65,000 State FDOT Match (10%), and $520,000 FTA Section 5310 funding (80%);
The operating application of $500,000 is comprised of $250,000 in FTA Operating (50%) and $250,000 County Operating Match (50%) (In-kind Match, salaries).
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (Utilizes exact document or procedure approved within the last 18 months)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Provide four (4) certified copies of Resolution R-17-148 and two (2) original signed copies of each grant application to Edrick Sweeting, Grants Administrator, Edrick.Sweeting@mymanatee.org, ext. 7354.
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
435-0012100 Transit-Paratransit Capital (PM) and Operating: Total of $1,150,000
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: 5310 Application FY18 Exhibit B - Resolution.pdf
Attachment: 5310 Application FY18 Step1 & 2 Operating.pdf
Attachment: 5310 Application FY18 Step1 & 2 PM.pdf