|CANCELLED - September 12, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #30
Multi-way Stop Installation - 9th Avenue N.W. at 99th Street N.W.
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Vishal S. Kakkad, P.E., PTOE, Traffic Design Division Manager, Ext. 7812
Authorization to install a multi-way stop on 9th Avenue NW and 99th Street NW
Florida State Statutes: Chapter 316.006 - Jurisdiction to Control Traffic; Chapter 316.008(1)(f) - Powers of Local Authorities
- A request was received to install a multi-way stop at the intersection of 9th Avenue NW and 99th Street NW.
- State law requires the installation of all traffic control devices, including STOP signs, to meet State standards adopted by the Florida Department of Transportation. The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) published by the U.S. Department of Transportation is the national standard for traffic control devices and has been adopted by the State and also the County's Land Development Code (LDC).
- In accordance with MUTCD standards, a traffic investigation and multi-way stop study was conducted. While the results of the study indicated the traffic volumes and crash history did not meet MUTCD criteria for a multi-way stop, additional criteria of vehicle and pedestrian conflicts needed to be considered as well.
- Due to the Robinson Preserve expansion project, a significant increase in automobile and non-motorized (bicycle and pedestrian) traffic will result. The increased activity from this non-motorized traffic generator will require clear right of way assignment. In addition, a considerable number of visitors who are unfamiliar with the area are expected. Due to these reasons a multi-way stop can accommodate the additional traffic control needed at this intersection.
- As a result of the increased activity from Robinson Preserve, staff recommends the installation of a multi-way stop at this location.
- The cost to install traffic signs for this multi-way stop would be approximately $350. The cost to install pavement markings would be approximately $500. The total cost would be approximately $850.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Please send a stamped copy of the agenda memorandum to Jeff Bishop (firstname.lastname@example.org), Public Works Department, Traffic Design Division, Ext. 7815
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
$850, 1010020707, Traffic Operations, Traffic Control Device Installation
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
$100/yr. - Maintenance & Repairs
Attachment: Location Map.pdf