|August 8, 2013 Land Use Meeting|
Agenda Item #5
PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - SMT Auto, LLC - First Auto Sales (Related to Alco Properties of Manatee County, Inc. - Copeman Development) - DTS#20120402 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDMU-06-86(P)(R2); amending and restating Ordinance Nos. PDMU-06-86(Z)(P) and PDMU-06-86(P)(R); APPROVE the Revised Preliminary Site Plan [PDMU-06-86(P)(R2)] with Stipulations A.1-A.6, B.1, C.1-C.2, D.1-D.4; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval for an alternative to LDC Sections 704.50.2, 704.50.4, 714.8.7, and 715.3.2, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
- The site is in the Urban Core and South County Community Redevelopment Area (CRA). The site is on the west side of US 41, approximately 550 feet south of 53rd Avenue West and extends west to 16th Street West at 5410 14th Street West. The Manatee Comprehensive Plan designates the site as R/O/R (Retail/Office/Residential) and RES-16 (Residential, 16 dwelling units per acre) on the Future Land Use Map (FLUM).
- On November 6, 2008, the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) approved a rezone of a 9.1± acre parcel, including the subject 7.23± acre site, from PDC (Planned Development Commercial), RDD-6 (Residential Duplex Dwelling,-six dwelling units per acre), and RSF-6 (Residential Single-Family- six dwelling units per acre) zoning districts to PDMU (Planned Development Mixed Use). A Preliminary Site Plan was also approved for a convenience store, mini-warehouses (with two driveways connecting US 41), and 8-lots for single-family detached residences. Each residence having a separate driveway connecting 16th Street West.
- On 6/23/09, the BOCC approved a revision to stipulation #A.1 to change the timing of the Final Plat for the residential lots.
- Phase one, which included the convenience store with gas pumps and canopy (RaceTrac Petroleum Inc.), has been constructed and now sits on a separate parcel south of the proposed site. Phase two and three, which included the mini-warehouse buildings and office, and eight (8) lots for single-family detached residences, respectively, have not been constructed and platted. The Preliminary Site Plan expires on November 06, 2013.
- Currently, the applicant, SMT Auto, LLC/First Auto Sales, requests a revision of the Preliminary Site Plan to modify the existing stormwater basin, add a 2,460 square foot building for the use of motor vehicle sales, rental, leasing and motor vehicle repair establishments, and eliminate the mini-warehouse facility, office use and 8-lots for single-family detached residences. The proposed use will occupy the part of the site designated R/O/R.
- The proposed establishment will serve as an expansion to the existing motor vehicle sales, rental, leasing establishment already existing on the property to the north (not part of this request). That site has frontage along US 41, is zoned GC (General Commercial) and received Final Site Plan (FSP-12-23) approval for a motor vehicle sales establishment on September 14, 2012.
- The site plan shows a 2,460 square foot building, 35 feet tall, with four-service bays. On-site parking, and display areas for motor vehicles are north and east of the building. The site plan indicates a FAR of 0.008 which is within the guidelines of the R/O/R and RES-16 FLUCs and CRA.
- The proposed uses are subject to the Conditional Use Criteria listed in LDC Section 704.50 and 704.51 which includes requirements relative to noise, screening, setbacks from adjacent residential zoning, and boat motor repair.
- The applicant requests Specific Approval for smaller replacement tree sizes, a setback reduction adjacent to residential zoning and a deferment of buffer installation along the west, northwest and southwest boundaries until a use is established for the remaining part of the property.
- Staff recommends approval subject to the recommended stipulations.
- On June 13, 2013, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommend approval. A public comment summary is in the staff report attached to this memo.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded on June 5, 2013.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Staff Report - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Letter - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(Z)(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - First Auto Sales - PDMU-06-86(P)(R2) - 8-8-13 BC.pdf