|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - August 7, 2014|
Agenda Item #3
PDMU-14-15(P) - Cargor Partners VI-Buckeye 928, LC/Buckhead Trails - DTS20130506 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to APPROVE Preliminary Site Plan PDMU-14-15(P) with Stipulations A.1-A.9, B.1-B.10, C.1-C.3, D.1-D.2, and E.1-E.5; GRANT Special Approval for a project: 1) adjacent to a perennial stream; 2) a gross density of one dwelling unit per acre in the UF-3 Future Land Use Category, and 3) exceeding a net density of three dwelling units per acre in the UF-3 Future Land Use Category; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval for alternatives to Sections 603.7.4.5 (greenbelt), 714.8.7 (replacement trees), and 715.3.4 (one canopy tree per lot), of the Land Development Code, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
Manatee County Land Development Code
• The 203.27± acre site is in the PDMU/NCGO (Planned Development Mixed Use/North County Gateway Overlay) zoning district. The site is on the north side of Buckeye Road, approximately 1/2 mile east of I-75, North County;
• On 06/17/08 the Board of County Commissioners rezoned the site to PDR and approved a Preliminary Site Plan for 367 lots for single-family detached residences. Following the Preliminary Site Plan approval, a Final Site Plan (PDR-05-53/FSP-07-28) was approved administratively. The Final Site Plan expires on 03/16/2015.
• In 2010, the site was rezoned to PDMU [PDMU-10-13(Z)(G)], when the Board of County Commissioners approved the Sawgrass/North County Gateway Overlay District, currently known as Florida International Gateway (FIG). The site did not retain the North Central Overlay District.
• Mr. John Cavoli, Agent for Cargor Partners, requests approval of a Preliminary Site Plan to add 165 lots for a total of 532 single-family detached residences, a gross density increase from 1.81 to 2.62 dwelling units per acre.
• The site is in the UF-3 (Urban Fringe-three dwelling units per acre) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). A gross density of 2.62 dwelling units per acre and net density of 3.23 dwelling units per acre require Special Approval in the UF-3 FLUC because the proposal exceeds one and three dwelling units per acre, respectively.
• There are two drainage features which traverse the site from east to west. The northernmost drainage feature is a perennial stream. Special Approval is required for a project adjacent to a perennial stream. Planned development is the process necessary to achieve Special Approval. PDR zoning provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate potential adverse impacts on the surrounding residential and agricultural neighborhood.
• The applicant proposes to reduce some of the previously approved lot sizes to increase the number of lots. Proposed minimum lot sizes range from 5,400 to 7,440 square feet. Approximately half of the lots will be a minimum of 6,250 square feet. All lots remain within the property boundaries of the previously approved plan.
• LDC Section 712.2.8, requires a second means of access for residential developments or parts of phases containing more than one hundred residential dwelling units. The four-phased 532 lot residential development is designed to have private streets with two gated entrances connecting Buckeye Road. Both roadways connect other interior roads to provide adequate traffic circulation through the project. To improve traffic circulation, a cul-de-sac (just north and west of the round-about) is changed to a through street within the subdivision.
• Additionally, the design shows provisions for future inter-neighborhood ties along the north, east and west boundaries. The proposal to provide inter-neighborhood ties furthers the intent of the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan, Policy 2.9.1 (Strong Communities) because it encourages connectivity and vehicular access between neighborhoods.
• The design meets the intent of LDC Section 907.9.1.3, which requires local streets to be extended to the property limits of the subdivision to allow for the logical future extension of the streets into adjacent undeveloped land and to new and existing adjacent developments to complete the inter-neighborhood road system ties.
• The site is adjacent to Buckeye Road (a planned 4-lane thoroughfare) and in the general vicinity of two future roadways; The Port Connector Road and Sawgrass Road Extension. Staff has a concern relative to noise impacts that future residents may experience. Staff recommends the installation of either an eight foot tall decorative wall or fence, or a berm and wall on top of the berm, with landscaping on the exterior side of the wall or fence along Buckeye Road.
• Staff supports the applicant’s requests for Specific Approval to allow an off-site agricultural buffer easement, one canopy tree per lot and smaller replacement tree sizes.
• There are 6.78± acres of wetlands and 4.61± acres of wetland buffers. There are no impacts to the wetlands. Some of the wetland buffers will be impacted by trails.
• Staff recommends approval subject to the recommended stipulations.
• On July 10, 2014, by a vote of, 5 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on June 6, 2014.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document and the letter from the Florida Department of State to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - PDMU-14-15(P) - 8-7-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Cargo Partner VI - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 08-07-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request - Cargo Partner VI - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 08-07-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Bradenton Herald - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 8-7-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Sarasota Herald Tribune - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 8-7-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 8-7-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - Cargo Partner VI - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(p) - 08-07-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow- Planner - Buckhead Trails - PDMU-14-15(P) - 8-7-14 BC.pdf