|August 22, 2017 - Regular Meeting|
Agenda Item #4
2017 Florida Planning and Zoning Association Award for Outstanding Long Range Plan
Contact and/or Presenter Information
Betsy Benac, Chairman, Board of County Commissioners
Bobbi Roy, Planning Coordinator, 941-748-4501 ext. 6878
Recognize staff for receiving the 2017 Florida Planning and Zoning Association Award for Outstanding Long Range Plan
Manatee County Urban Corridor Plan received 2017 Outstanding Long Range plan honors:
- Efforts to encourage redevelopment in some of Manatee County's aging areas have garnered statewide recognition.
- The Florida Planning and Zoning Association has awarded the Manatee County Urban Corridors Plan (UCP) with the 2017 Outstanding Long Range Plan award. County Commissioners approved the UCP and related changes last year in an effort to allow greater densities and building heights, encouraging mixed-use developments that combine retail, offices, and residential in walkable settings.
- Manatee's Urban Corridor Plan extends along six local areas:
- Manatee Avenue from 75th Street West to 34th Street West
- Cortez Road-44th Avenue from 75th Street West to 15th Street East
- 53rd Avenue West (State Road 70) from 36th Street West to U.S. 301
- 14th Street West from 26th Avenue West to University Parkway
- 15th Street East from U.S. 301 to University Parkway
- First Street (U.S.41) from 21st Avenue West to Cortez Road
- This is the culmination of hard work for the last five years. The plan and recent Commission-approved changes will encourage the kind of development community leaders have envisioned for years.
- Through community efforts, goals of administration, hard work of staff, and dedication of our elected officials, the Urban Corridor amendments came to fruition.
- The Urban Corridors Project embodies sound planning and zoning practices sought in the planning of local urban communities not only within the State of Florida, but the entire nation.
County Attorney Review
Not Reviewed (No apparent legal issues)
Explanation of Other
Instructions to Board Records
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs