|Manatee County Government Administrative Center Commission Chambers, First Floor 9:00 a.m. - April 3, 2014|
Agenda Item #10
PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - Loraine B. Riker Rezone/Riker Subdivision - B250 - DTS20130440 - Quasi-Judicial - Stephanie Moreland
Briefing Provided Upon Request
Contact and/or Presenter Information
941-748-4501 ext. 3880
Based upon the staff report, evidence presented, comments made at the Public Hearing, the action of the Planning Commission, and finding the request to be CONSISTENT with the Manatee County Comprehensive Plan and the Manatee County Land Development Code, as conditioned herein, I move to ADOPT Manatee County Zoning Ordinance No. PDR-13-39(Z)(P); APPROVE the Preliminary Site Plan with Stipulations A.1-A.7, B.1-B.2 and C.1; GRANT Special Approval for a project: 1) exceeding a gross density of one dwelling unit per acre in the UF-3 Future Land Use Category (FLUC); and 2) exceeding a net density of three dwelling units per acre in the UF-3 FLUC; ADOPT the Findings for Specific Approval; and GRANT Specific Approval for an alternative to Land Development Code Sections 714.8.7 and 715.3.4, as recommended by the Planning Commission.
Manatee County Land Development Code
Manatee County Comprehensive Plan
• Katie LaBarr, Agent for Neal Communities of Southwest Florida, requests a rezone of 40.21± acres to PDR (Planned Development Residential) and approval of a Preliminary Site Plan for 120 lots for single-family detached residences, at the northeast corner of future White Eagle Boulevard (f.k.a. Pope Road) and a future segment of 44th Avenue East.
• The site is in the UF-3 (Urban Fringe - three dwelling units per acre) Future Land Use Category (FLUC). Suburban or urban residential uses are listed in the range of potential uses for consideration for UF-3. The proposed 120-lot residential single-family development at a gross density of 2.98 dwelling units per acre is consistent with the UF-3 FLUC. Special Approval is required for a project with a gross density exceeding one dwelling unit per acre and a net density exceeding three dwelling units per acre in the UF-3 FLUC.
• Planned Development is the procedure required to acquire Special Approval. PDR zoning provides greater flexibility for the project when establishing appropriate buffers and setbacks to help mitigate any potential adverse impacts on the surrounding neighborhood.
• The site is currently zoned A. The A zoning district allows one dwelling unit per five acres.
• The site has no wetlands or wetland buffers.
• The site has access to the proposed 44th Avenue East which is on the 2030 Future Traffic Circulation Map Series as a four-lane arterial roadway. LDC Section 712.2.8 requires a second means of access for residential developments or parts of phases containing more than one hundred residential dwelling units. The project is designed to have a gated boulevard entrance (two lanes on either side of a 22 foot wide median) connecting a two-lane arterial section of 44th Avenue East which will serve as the second means of access for 120 lots for single-family detached residences. According to Transportation staff, this access point will provide full turning movement access.
• The construction of White Eagle Boulevard (f.k.a. Pope Road) is included in a Local Development Agreement (LDA 13-03 - Northwest Sector/Lakewood Centre) which indicates construction is to occur by an entity other than the applicant sometime in the future.
• The applicant is proposing 24-foot wide private internal roadways. The site design shows optional inter-neighborhood ties to the north and east if the adjacent properties are developed as future phases of the proposed subdivision.
• The site is within two miles of BD Gullett Elementary School. In accordance with LDC Section 722.214.171.124, which requires sidewalks to be on both sides of the street when a project is within two miles of a school, the site plan shows five-foot wide sidewalks on both sides of the internal roadways and along the west side of 44th Avenue East, adjacent to the property’s frontage. This design furthers the intent of Manatee County Comprehensive Plan Policy 126.96.36.199 and promotes development of pedestrian friendly designs. No sidewalks are proposed along White Eagle Boulevard (not constructed).
• Staff has a concern that future residents residing on lots adjacent to 44th Avenue East may be subject to potential noise from vehicles traveling along this roadway.
• To address any potential noise impacts from 44th Avenue East, staff recommends the installation of a six-foot high solid decorative wall or fence with landscaping on the exterior side of the fence or enhanced landscaping in the buffer along 44th Avenue East.
• The applicant requests Specific Approval for the following:
• Staff recommends approval with stipulations.
• On March 13, 2014, by a vote of 7 – 0, the Planning Commission recommended approval.
County Attorney Review
Other (Requires explanation in field below)
Explanation of Other
Sarah Schenk reviewed and responded by email on Feburary 12, 2014.
Instructions to Board Records
Please forward a copy of the executed document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost and Funds Source Account Number and Name
Amount and Frequency of Recurring Costs
Attachment: Maps - Future Land Use, Zoning and Aerial - Riker - PDR1339(Z)(P) - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Staff Report - Riker Subdivision - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - DTS20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Special Approval Request - Riker - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - dts20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Specific Approval Request - Riker - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - dts20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Zoning Disclosure Affidavit - Riker - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - dts20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Traffic Impact Analysis - Riker - PDR1339(Z)(P) - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Copy of Newspaper Advertising - Riker - PDR-13-37(Z)(P) - 4-3-14 BC.pdf
Attachment: Ordinance Riker Subdivision - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - DTS20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Site Plan - Riker - PDR1339(Z)(P) - 20140403 BC.pdf
Attachment: Slideshow - Planner - Riker - PDR-13-39(Z)(P) - B250 - DTS20130440 - 20140403 BC.pdf