Types of Solid Waste
Table of Contents
Yard Waste is vegetative matter resulting from yard and landscaping maintenance of your own property. This includes materials such as tree branches, leaves, grass clippings or palm fronds. Please prepare Yard Waste properly to expedite pickup.
How to prepare Yard Waste:
- Please put Yard Waste in a 32 gallon trash can. Yard Waste should not protrude above the can level.
- You can also use a sturdy plastic 30 gallon trash bag.
- If you do not wish to use trash cans or trash bags, you can put Yard Waste in bundles no longer than four (4) feet in length. Bundles cannot contain branches larger than six (6) inches in diameter. Any branch larger than six (6) inches in diameter should be cut in half length-wise, tied and bundled.
- Tie bundles with heavy-duty string.
- Bundles, bags, or containers can weigh no more than 50 pounds each.
All Yard Waste is picked up on Wednesdays. Yard Waste placed not more than three (3) feet from the road or curb will be collected once a week between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
There is no limit on the amount of Yard Waste that can be picked up, as long as it is bundled and placed out properly. The removal of large amounts of loose Yard Waste is not part of the residential collection service charge, and is considered an "Extraordinary Service." If you choose to have the hauler pick up your loose Yard Waste, please call customer service at 941-792-8811 to arrange a pickup. This Extraordinary Service will be charged on your next utility bill. Residents may also elect to take the debris to the Lena Road Landfill in their own vehicle.
Commercial customers may also request a free estimate for removal, by calling Manatee County Utilities Customer Service at 941-792-8811, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with the exception of holidays. Estimates are done by the franchise hauler supervisor and are based on the yardage scheduled for removal.
To dispose of used motor oil, please call the toll free number of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection at: 1-800-741-4337. Choose option #1. You will be prompted for your zip code in order to obtain the location nearest you for used motor oil disposal.
You may also dispose of used motor oil by bringing it to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection, at the Manatee County Landfill the 3rd Saturday of each month, from 9:00 - 3:00 for residential use only. For more information, call 941-792-8811.
More information on HHW
White goods are large appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines, dryers, stoves and freezers. There is a minimal charge for curbside disposal per appliance or item. You may also elect to dispose of your item at the landfill for a fee.
Small appliances such as toasters, blenders, etc. may be placed in the regular garbage.
To schedule pick up of white goods, please call the Manatee County Customer Service Department at 941-792-8811, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with the exception of holidays.
Properly prepared* residential C & D may be placed at the curb for pick up by the waste hauler.
Residents may have a rolloff box delivered to the site. C & D is an open market, and any waste hauler may be used. Consult your local yellow pages.
Construction debris can be hauled to the Lena Road Landfill for a fee.
*Properly Prepared: Bags or 32 gallon cans less than 50 lbs., not protruding from the container, or tied and bundled, less than 4ft and under 50lbs.
Furniture is categorized as "special items", and can be placed out with the regular garbage, free of charge for customers with Residential Curbside Pickup service. However, please do not exceed two items per collection day.
Do NOT dispose of TVs in your trash. Prior arrangements must be made before placing a TV at the curb.
- Call 941-792-8811 and speak to a customer service representative for details to schedule a special pickup. You may use your one “free annual” option or pay a fee for this service.
- Deliver the TV to the Manatee County Landfill between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on the 3rd Saturday of each month for proper disposal at no charge.
- If you are able to unload your TV without assistance from County personnel, you may bring it to the Lena Road Landfill Monday-Saturday 8:00am-5:00pm. Please stop and speak with scalehouse staff; there will be no charge for disposal.
- Check with your local thrift store to see if they are accepting donations of working TVs.
More information on E-Scrap
Garbage Collection Days and Times
Residential household waste in unincorporated Manatee County is collected twice a week between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. by one of two waste haulers:
- Waste Management (South and East County)
- Waste Pro (North and West County)
Collection days are either Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday. To determine your collection days, please view the Collection Days map, or call Customer Service at 941-792-8811, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- Your waste must be placed in one location, not more than three (3) feet from the curb or road, before 6:00 a.m on the day of collection.
- Containers must be easily accessible and free of obstructions.
- Waste must be contained in water tight plastic bags at least 1.5 mil thick, or cans not larger than 32 gallon capacity.
- The total weight of each container must not exceed 50 lbs.
- The waste haulers will not pick up residential garbage containers that include yard waste, household hazardous waste or marine or auto parts.
Household Collection Other Than Curbside
Handicapped residents who are unable to carry household waste and recycling to the curb may apply for rear door service at the curbside rate by calling 941-792-8811, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Extraordinary Service (Large General Clean Up)
This is the removal of an extraordinarily large quantity of household debris. Residential curbside or rear door customers will be provided one annual large general solid waste clean up per residence, at no additional charge, at the curb. To make arrangements, please call Customer Service at 941-792-8811, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., with the exception of holidays. NOTE: Marine, or automotive parts are not included in this provision.