Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- There is ongoing work along the west side of Rye Rd. This will be starting near SR 64 and working north towards Gene Witt Elementary. Please use caution and obey all work zone signs.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017. For further information please visit the official Ft. Hamer Bridge project website: http://www.forthamerbridge.com/
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area. Traffic pattern will be switched mid May 2017 to use the new traffic lanes.
- 63rd Ave E from Tuttle to Prospect will be undergoing construction starting August 12th and lasting several months. This is for a watermain replacement project. Intermittent lane closures will be in effect, please use caution and plan alternative routes.
- Starting January 3rd, please use caution at the following intersections which will be undergoing reconstruction: 27th St E at 38th Ave E, and 30th St E at 38th Ave E. This is in relation to the 44th Ave E expansion project. Please see the following link for further details: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/Roundabouts_Info-Sheet_F/Roundabouts_Info%20Sheet_F.pdf
- The County Forcemain Project 17M has commenced along 63rd Ave E. Please use caution from US 41 to 5th St E. Intermittent lane closures are in effect for the center median portions of 63rd.
- 45th St E will be closed from March 27th until May 1st. This is for the 44th Ave E improvements project that will be connecting here and including the new intersection, drainage, and utility improvements.
- 37th St E will be closed from May 1st until June 1st. This is also for the 44th Ave E improvements. Note that the 45th St E closure will be lifted by then. Please see this link for further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/44th-5-1-Map/44th.5.1.Map.pdf
- Please use caution along 27th St E and 26th Ave E, as there will be upcoming lane closures for the new Villages of Glen Creek subdivision which is within the City of Bradenton.
- Please use caution and expect delays along Lorraine Rd and University Pkwy. There is both a watermain installation and lane resurfacing/road improvements project in the area that are underway.
- Please use caution at 53rd Ave W and 30th St W. There will be an inside lane closure for physical utility locate work on Monday, April 24th.
FDOT Roadway Updates:
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
(Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
New Traffic Pattern on Northbound I-75. Details below:
The contractor anticipates permanently shifting northbound I-75 traffic from the Acrow temporary bridge onto the permanent northbound I-75 bridge at night/overnight Sunday, April 23 after 8 p.m. Traffic shifts to the right.
Detour – University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange:
Monday, April 24 through Saturday, April 29 from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following Morning. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Monday, April 24 through Saturday, April 29 from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following morning while crews remove the Acrow temporary bridge over University Parkway. All ramps will remain open.
Motorists traveling west on University Parkway (east of I-75) wishing to travel west through the interchange are directed to travel north on I-75, exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling east on University Parkway (west of I-75) wishing to travel east through the interchange are directed to travel south on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling south on I-75 wishing to travel east on University Parkway are directed to exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210 (south of the closure), enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling north on I-75 wishing to travel west on University Parkway are directed to exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B (north of the closure), enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Watch for a traffic shift to the inside (left) on northbound I-75 between Fruitville Road to north of Errie Creek bridge at night/overnight Wednesday, April 26 after 8 p.m.
Watch for a traffic shift to the outside (right) on the southbound I-75 on-ramp at night/overnight Monday, April 24 after 8 p.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, April 23 through Saturday, April 29 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Temporary intermittent lane closures are in place at the intersection of Cooper Creek Blvd. and University Parkway and at Market Street and University Parkway at night/overnight Monday, April 24 through Wednesday, April 26 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning while crews install permanent traffic signals and remove old traffic signals and temporary poles. Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, April 23 through Saturday, April 29 from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m.
The contractor is installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, removing the Acrow temporary bridge, restriping sections of University Parkway, constructing sidewalk and curb and gutter, painting the panels for the noise wall, installing permanent signalization, installing guardrail, and installing permanent signage. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 from Moccasin Wallow Road to the Hillsborough County Line: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing I-75, making drainage improvements, installing guardrail, and adding new signage and pavement markings. The pavement along Moccasin Wallow Road at the I-75 interchange is also being reconstructed. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida, LLC, is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2018.
US 301 from 19th Street to 60th Avenue: Construction project: Crews are removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing guardrail and new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida LLC, is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2017.
US 301 at the Hernando Desoto Bridge: Construction project: Crews are installing pile jackets, making concrete repairs and repairing the bridge fender system. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Portions of Riverwalk along the seawall will be closed from early May through the end of August while crews are working on the seawall. Inland Construction and Engineering, Inc., is the contractor. Expected completion is fall 2017.
SR 789 at the Longboat Key Bridge: Bridge maintenance project: Crews are working on the bridge. Expect nighttime/overnight intermittent north and southbound lane closures controlled by flaggers from 9 p.m. each night to 4 a.m. each morning Sunday, April 23 through Thursday, April 27. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 684/Cortez Road at 20th Street W: Construction project: This project is to perform pedestrian improvements at the SR 684/Cortez Road at 20th Street W intersection; including, new pedestrian crossing ramps, crosswalks, and pedestrian signals. This week, crews will work on final punch list and site cleanup. Variable message signs are in place to alert drivers that work is underway. Motorists should anticipate lane closures and should use caution while traveling in the work zone. Estimated completion is spring 2017. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor.
SR 70 from 301 Boulevard to Tara Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway and making signal upgrades. Expect daytime and/or nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. Daytime construction work continues along SR 70 reconstructing concrete curbs and sidewalks for ADA improvements from 301st Boulevard E/15th Street E with periodic lane closures. Expect nightly lane closures Sunday through Thursday while crews are resurfacing the roadway. Expected completion is late summer 2017. The contractor is Superior Asphalt, Inc.
SR 70 at Greenbrook Boulevard West: Construction project: Crews are installing a
new traffic signal, crosswalks with pedestrian signals, and street lighting at the intersection. Motorists should expect daytime or nighttime lane closures; therefore, drivers should use caution while traveling in this area. This week, crews will be installing lighting, road striping, and working daytime and overnight on the traffic signal. Expected completion is spring 2017. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor.
SR 64 at Rye Road: Maintenance permit/utilities project: Crews are performing utility locates. Expect nighttime/overnight left lane and left turn-lane closures from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Sunday, April 23. Use caution and expect possible delays.