Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
MANATEE COUNTY ROAD CLOSURES and TRAFFIC NOTICES:
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017.
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge. Starting August 8th, there will be a detour that only allows southbound traffic on UMRR from Gates Creek Rd to 3rd Ave NE. For further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/UMRR-Notice-Update/UMRR.Notice.Update.pdf
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be experiencing a right turn lane expansion, starting at the end of May, as a result of sitework for the new Wawa's and WalMart Grocery. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- 51st St W will be closed starting February 8th until October for a new gravity system replacement project, from 9th Ave Dr W to 18th Ave W. Detours will be in place, and drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays. Please see link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/51stStGravitySewerPh2-Update/51stStGravitySewerPh2.Update.pdf
- NOTE: The section of work currently underway has 51st St W closed from 15th Ave W to 19th Ave W. Drivers are asked if coming northbound from Cortez to please use 21st Ave W and detour to 59th or 43rd.
- Drivers coming southbound from Manatee Ave are asked to detour at 11th Ave W or 9th Ave W to get to 59th or 43rd. Please use CAUTION and obey all posted speed limits in residential areas.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, and also fully closed (intermittently) starting now until November, for a 16"waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
- 63rd Ave E from Tuttle to Prospect will be undergoing construction starting August 12th and lasting several months. This is for a watermain replacement project. Intermittent lane closures will be in effect, please use caution and plan alternative routes.
Various locations on SR 37, US 301 and 15th Street: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are trimming trees from over the road, shoulders and tree removals. Work will be located within the shoulder areas. Use caution and expect possible delays.
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) (Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
Detour – Eastbound Lanes on University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/ University Parkway Interchange:
Tuesday, August 16 and Wednesday, August 17. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route on eastbound University Parkway at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Tuesday, August 16 and Wednesday, August 17 between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. while crews pour the deck on the southbound bridge over University Parkway. If weather is a factor, the contractor plans to reschedule for the following day.
Motorists traveling east on University Parkway (west of I-75) wishing to travel east through the interchange are directed to travel south on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling south on I-75 wishing to travel east on University Parkway are directed to continue south on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, travel east, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Detour – Westbound Lanes on University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/ University Parkway Interchange:
Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route on westbound University Parkway at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Saturday, August 20 and Sunday, August 21 between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. while crews pour the deck on the southbound bridge over University Parkway. If weather is a factor, the contractor plans to reschedule for the following day.
Motorists traveling west on University Parkway (east of I-75) wishing to travel west through the interchange are directed to travel north on I-75, exit at SR 70/Exit 217, travel west, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling north on I-75 wishing to travel west on University Parkway are directed to continue north on I-75, exit at SR 70/Exit 217, travel west, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Detour – Northbound I-75 On-Ramp CLOSED at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange:
Sunday, August 14 through Thursday, August 18. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Sunday, August 14 through Thursday night, August 18 between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. while crews install storm drain. If weather is a factor, the contractor plans to reschedule for the following day. This detour will not occur simultaneously with any other detour at the interchange.
Motorists wishing to travel north on I-75 from University Parkway are directed to travel south on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, travel west and enter northbound I-75.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, August 14 through Thursday, August 18 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Watch for lane shifts and temporary single and double lane closures on the I-75 on and off-ramps between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. while crews install storm drain and signage.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, August 14 through Thursday, August 18 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Foley Creek and Errie Creek, driving piles at Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, paving and striping the I-75 on and off-ramps, installing signage, constructing the southbound bridge at I-75/University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting and signalization, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four-lane divided highway; constructing sidewalk; installing highway lighting; constructing medians, and improving drainage. Crews are working Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Crews will be working throughout the project. Travelers may expect intermittent lane shifts throughout the project limits adjacent to work areas. Expected completion is fall 2016.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. There will be no lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Expect single lane closures on Riverside Drive while the contractor is working on the drainage. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on US 41 between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The east and west parking areas remain closed. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
US 41 from I-275 to the Hillsborough County Line and at Piney Point Road and Dock Street (Port Manatee): Construction project: Crews are reconstructing portions of the roadway with concrete; removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing a new traffic signal at the I-275 westbound off-ramp to US 41; improving drainage; constructing sidewalks; installing guardrail, highway lighting and landscaping, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Crews are working on landscaping, performance turf, signing, pavement markings and lighting. Construction activities are going on both during the day and at night. Motorists should use caution while travelling through construction zones and be mindful that the speed limit is now 50 MPH. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Estimated completion is late 2016. The contractor is Pepper Contracting Services, Inc.
SR 684 at Cape Vista Drive: Repair project: Crews are removing a damaged signal pole. Expect turn lane closures on SR 684 and Cape Vista Drive until the temporary pole is installed. Motorists should also be aware the signals are in flash mode until the temporary pole is installed. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 east of Lorraine Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing driveways and resurfacing the roadway. Expect intermittent daytime east and westbound lane closures controlled by flaggers from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Use caution and expect possible delays.