Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- 39th St Ct NW is closed from Dec 5th through the 9th, for a sanitary sewer repair. Local traffic only will be permitted.
- Starting week of October 3rd, there will be a County project that consists of a new forcemain being installed along the west side of Rye Rd. This will be starting near SR 64 and working north towards Gene Witt Elementary. Please use caution and obey all work zone signs.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017. For further information please visit the official Ft. Hamer Bridge project website: http://www.forthamerbridge.com/
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge. Starting August 8th, there will be a detour that only allows southbound traffic on UMRR from Gates Creek Rd to 3rd Ave NE. For further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/UMRR-Notice-Update/UMRR.Notice.Update.pdf
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be impacted by a right turn lane expansion that includes a watermain and other utility relocations. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, and also fully closed (intermittently) starting now until November, for a 16" waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. Also please note there will be a lane and partial closure of the intersection at Exp Farm Rd and Canal Rd, starting Oct 6th. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
- 63rd Ave E from Tuttle to Prospect will be undergoing construction starting August 12th and lasting several months. This is for a watermain replacement project. Intermittent lane closures will be in effect, please use caution and plan alternative routes.
FDOT Roadway Updates:
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
(Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
Detour – Westbound University Parkway and Eastbound University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange:
Sunday, December 4 through Saturday, December 10 during nighttime hours. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route on University Parkway at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight beginning Sunday, December 4 through Saturday, December 10 between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. each night while crews demolish the I-75 northbound bridge over University Parkway. This activity is anticipated to be in place for 3 weeks.
Motorists traveling westbound on University Parkway (east of I-75) wishing to travel west through the interchange are directed to travel northbound on I-75, exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling northbound on I-75 wishing to travel west on University Parkway are directed to exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B (north of the closure), enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling eastbound on University Parkway (west of I-75) wishing to travel east through the interchange are directed to travel southbound on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling southbound on I-75 wishing to travel east on University Parkway are directed to exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210 (south of the closure), enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, December 4 through Saturday, December 10 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m. Watch for lane shifts and temporary single and double lane closures on the I-75 on and off-ramps between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, December 4 through Saturday, December 10 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m. Watch for shifts in traffic.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, driving piles at the I-75/University Parkway, reconstructing the median on University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting, installing permanent signage, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from 60th Avenue to Tampa/Erie Road: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are cleaning and inspecting storm sewer systems on the north side of US 301. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m. through mid-December. Motorists should use caution during these times.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. There will be no lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Expect single lane closures on Riverside Drive while the contractor is working on the drainage. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on US 41 between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The east and west parking areas remain closed. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
SR 789 from Broadway Street to North Shore Road: Construction project: Crews are constructing new sidewalk and pedestrian crossing; improving drainage; installing new lighting, and new signing and pavement markings. Pedestrians should expect sidewalk closures while crews are working. A temporary sidewalk will be constructed at North Shore Road to accommodate pedestrians when sidewalk closures are in effect. Motorists should expect possible daytime single lane closures and flagging operations. Estimated completion is end of the year. The contractor is MTM Contractors.
SR 70 from 301 Boulevard to Tara Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway and making signal upgrades. Expect daytime and/or nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. Expected completion is late summer 2017. The contractor is Superior Asphalt, Inc