Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- There is ongoing work along the west side of Rye Rd. This will be starting near SR 64 and working north towards Gene Witt Elementary. Please use caution and obey all work zone signs.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017. For further information please visit the official Ft. Hamer Bridge project website: http://www.forthamerbridge.com/
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge. Starting August 8th, there will be a detour that only allows southbound traffic on UMRR from Gates Creek Rd to 3rd Ave NE. For further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/UMRR-Notice-Update/UMRR.Notice.Update.pdf
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be impacted by a right turn lane expansion that includes a watermain and other utility relocations. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, and also fully closed (intermittently) starting now until November, for a 16" waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. Also please note there will be a lane and partial closure of the intersection at Exp Farm Rd and Canal Rd, starting Oct 6th. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
- 63rd Ave E from Tuttle to Prospect will be undergoing construction starting August 12th and lasting several months. This is for a watermain replacement project. Intermittent lane closures will be in effect, please use caution and plan alternative routes.
- Starting January 3rd, please use caution at the following intersections which will be undergoing reconstruction: 27th St E at 38th Ave E, and 30th St E at 38th Ave E. This is in relation to the 44th Ave E expansion project. Please see the following link for further details: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/Roundabouts_Info-Sheet_F/Roundabouts_Info%20Sheet_F.pdf
- Please use caution and expect delays at Ranch Lake Plaza. The new Free Standing Emergency Room project requires offsite utility construction and portions of the plaza will be closed intermittently.
FDOT Roadway Updates:
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
(Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, January 15 through Friday, January 20 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m. Watch for lane shifts and temporary single and double lane closures on the I-75 on and off-ramps between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, January 15 through Friday, January 20 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m. Watch for shifts in traffic.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, driving piles at the I-75/University Parkway, reconstructing the median on University Parkway, constructing the new I-75 northbound bridge, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from 19th Street to 60th Avenue: Construction project: Crews are removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing guardrail, and new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. AJAX Paving Industries of Florida LLC, is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2017.
US 301 at Victory Road/Amsterdam Avenue: Construction project: Crews are installing sidewalks and crosswalk ramps, upgrading pedestrian signals and crosswalks. This week, crews will be installing erosion control devices. Expect possible lane closures during the daytime and nighttime hours; therefore, drivers should use caution while traveling in this area. Ajax Paving Industries of Florida, LLC is the contractor. Expected completion is spring 2017.
US 301 from Canal Road to 19th Avenue East: Maintenance permit project: Crews are installing new pipes and sidewalk. Expect possible eastbound lane closures through Friday, March 10 while crews are working. Use caution and expect possible delays.
US 41 at the Hernando DeSoto Bridge: Bridge maintenance project: Crews are working on the bridge. Expect nighttime/overnight intermittent north and southbound right lane closures from 9 p.m. each night to 5 a.m. each morning Sunday, January 22 through Wednesday, January 25. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 from 301 Boulevard to Tara Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway and making signal upgrades. Expect daytime and/or nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. Expected completion is late summer 2017. The contractor is Superior Asphalt, Inc.
SR 70/53rd Avenue from east of Pope Road to Wolf Slough: Maintenance permits project: Crews are making drainage repairs. The eastbound outside lane will remain closed through the end of January while crews are working.