Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
MANATEE COUNTY ROAD CLOSURES and TRAFFIC NOTICES:
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017.
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge. Please see this link for the project website and further information: www.forthamerbridge.com
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be experiencing a right turn lane expansion, starting at the end of May, as a result of sitework for the new Wawa's and WalMart Grocery. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- 51st St W will be closed starting February 8th until October for a new gravity system replacement project, from 9th Ave Dr W to 18th Ave W. Detours will be in place, and drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays. Please see link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/51stStGravitySewerPh2-Update/51stStGravitySewerPh2.Update.pdf
- NOTE: The section of work currently underway has 51st St W closed from 15th Ave W to 19th Ave W. Drivers are asked if coming northbound from Cortez to please use 21st Ave W and detour to 59th or 43rd.
- Drivers coming southbound from Manatee Ave are asked to detour at 11th Ave W or 9th Ave W to get to 59th or 43rd. Please use CAUTION and obey all posted speed limits in residential areas.
- The Ft. Hamer Park Boat Ramp will be closed for the next 6 months due to new park and boat ramp improvements that are underway.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, and also fully closed (intermittently) starting now until November, for a 16"waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
- There will also be new guardrail installations starting July 18th, also along Canal Rd, to the south of this project. The areas included will be from south of 17th St E (Memphis Rd) to US 301. Please use caution, and see this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosureGuardrail.pdf
- Landscaping improvements are underway in the following areas, for the next couple weeks until mid August. Please use caution:
- Tara Blvd, south of SR 70 to Tara Preserve Ln
- Lakewood Ranch Blvd, south of SR 70 to Clubhouse Dr
- There is Utility work that will be taking place for watermain improvements in the Palma Sola Park area, starting week of August 1st. The streets that will be impacted are Alcazar Dr, Alhambra Dr, and Santiago Dr. Local traffic will be maintained, and please use caution and alternative local routes as necessary. Any full closures if required will only be for a couple hours at a time.
Various locations along US 41, SR 684, SR 70 and SR 64: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are trimming trees from over the road and sidewalks. Expect daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and/or intermittent lane closures. Use caution and expect possible delays.
Various locations along SR 789 and US 41: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are installing detectable warning mats at curb ramps. Use caution as intermittent sidewalk closures are expected.
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) (Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
Detour – University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange:
Friday, July 29. Details below:
The contractor anticipates a temporary detour route at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Friday, July 29 between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. while crews perform a routine inspection of the Acrow temporary bridge. Temporary intermittent single lane closures are also in place on southbound I-75 from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. All ramps will remain open.
Motorists traveling westbound on University Parkway (east of I-75) wishing to travel west through the interchange are directed to travel northbound on I-75, exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling eastbound on University Parkway (west of I-75) wishing to travel east through the interchange are directed to travel southbound on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling southbound on I-75 wishing to travel east on University Parkway are directed to exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210 (south of the closure), enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling northbound on I-75 wishing to travel west on University Parkway are directed to exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B (north of the closure), enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, July 24 through Friday, July 29 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Watch for lane shifts and temporary single and double lane closures on the I-75 southbound off-ramp Sunday, July 24 through Thursday, July 28 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. while crews install storm drain, and on the I-75 northbound off-ramp Monday, July 25 while crews install temporary signal poles. Law enforcement will be on site directing traffic as needed.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, July 24 through Thursday, July 28 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m. Motorists will experience a traffic shift to the outside on eastbound University Parkway, west of I-75 beginning Sunday, July 24. Motorists will experience temporary single and double lane closures at the intersection of University Parkway and Cooper Creek Blvd. Tuesday, July 26 through Thursday, July 28 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. while crews install temporary signal poles. Law enforcement will be on site directing traffic as needed.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Foley Creek and Errie Creek, driving piles at Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, paving and striping the I-75 on and off-ramps, constructing the southbound bridge at I-75/University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting and signalization, driving piles for the noise wall adjacent to southbound I-75 north of Fruitville Road, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four-lane divided highway; constructing sidewalk; installing highway lighting; constructing medians, and improving drainage. Crews are working Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Crews will be paving all week with side street detours and intermittent flagging operations in place at CR 675 (Rutland Road), SR 62 and Moccasin Wallow Road. Both north and southbound lanes along US 301 will remain open; however, travelers should expect intermittent 5 minute delays due to shifting traffic. Expected completion is fall 2016.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. Motorists should expect periodic daytime single-lane closures along Riverside Drive. There will be no Lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
US 41 from I-275 to the Hillsborough County Line and at Piney Point Road and Dock Street (Port Manatee): Construction project: Crews are reconstructing portions of the roadway with concrete; removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing a new traffic signal at the I-275 westbound off-ramp to US 41; improving drainage; constructing sidewalks; installing guardrail, highway lighting and landscaping, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Crews are working on irrigation, landscaping, signing, pavement markings and lighting. Construction activities are going on both during the day and at night. Motorists should use caution while travelling through construction zones and be mindful that the speed limit is now 50 MPH. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Estimated completion is late 2016. The contractor is Pepper Contracting Services, Inc.
SR 684 at Cape Vista Drive: Repair project: Crews are removing a damaged signal pole. Expect turn lane closures on SR 684 and Cape Vista Drive until the temporary pole is installed. Motorists should also be aware the signals are in flash mode until the temporary pole is installed. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 east of Lorraine Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing driveways and resurfacing the roadway. Expect intermittent daytime east and westbound lane closures controlled by flaggers from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 37 near Mosaic: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are repairing shoulders
on both sides of SR 37. Expect daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and/or intermittent lane closures. Use caution and expect possible delays. Work to be completed by end of July 2016.