Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
MANATEE COUNTY ROAD CLOSURES and TRAFFIC NOTICES:
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017.
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge.
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be experiencing a right turn lane expansion, starting at the end of May, as a result of sitework for the new Wawa's and WalMart Grocery. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- 51st St W will be closed starting February 8th until October for a new gravity system replacement project, from 9th Ave Dr W to 18th Ave W. Detours will be in place, and drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays. Please see link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/51stStGravitySewerPh2-Update/51stStGravitySewerPh2.Update.pdf
- NOTE: The section of work currently underway has 51st St W closed from 15th Ave W to 19th Ave W. Drivers are asked if coming northbound from Cortez to please use 21st Ave W and detour to 59th or 43rd.
- Drivers coming southbound from Manatee Ave are asked to detour at 11th Ave W or 9th Ave W to get to 59th or 43rd. Please use CAUTION and obey all posted speed limits in residential areas.
- The Ft. Hamer Park Boat Ramp will be closed for the next 6 months due to new park and boat ramp improvements that are underway.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, starting now until November, for a 16"waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
Various locations along US 41, SR 684, SR 70 and SR 64: Maintenance contracts project:
Crews are trimming trees from over the road and sidewalks. Expect daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and/or intermittent lane closures. Use caution and expect possible delays.
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI)
Sarasota/Bradenton: Construction Project:
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Tuesday, July 5 through Thursday, July 7 between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on the southbound I-75 on-ramp at University Parkway Tuesday, July 5 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. while the contractor shifts traffic onto the newly constructed southbound I-75 on-ramp. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on the northbound I-75 off-ramp at University Parkway/Exit 213 Thursday, July 7 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. while the contractor relocates temporary signal heads and shifts traffic onto the newly constructed northbound I-75 off-ramp. Law enforcement will be present directing traffic as needed. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures and lane shifts are in place at night/overnight on the southbound I-75 off-ramp at University Parkway/Exit 213 Tuesday, July 5 through Thursday, July 7 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. while the contractor installs drainage pipe. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Tuesday, July 5 through Thursday, July 7 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Foley Creek and Errie Creek, driving piles at Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, constructing the southbound bridge at I-75/University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting and signalization, driving piles for the noise wall adjacent to southbound I-75 north of Fruitville Road, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present. Contractor will suspend construction activities in observance of Independence Day, on Monday, July 4.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four-lane divided highway; constructing sidewalk; installing highway lighting; constructing medians, and improving drainage. Crews are working Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Outside lane closure on southbound US 301 south of CR 675 (Rutland Road). Traffic shifts may be in place adjacent to the work zones at all other times. Expected completion is fall 2016.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. Motorists should expect periodic daytime single-lane closures along Riverside Drive. There will be no Lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
US 41 from I-275 to the Hillsborough County Line and at Piney Point Road and Dock Street (Port Manatee): Construction project: Crews are reconstructing portions of the roadway with concrete; removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing a new traffic signal at the I-275 westbound off-ramp to US 41; improving drainage; constructing sidewalks; installing guardrail, highway lighting and landscaping, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Crews are working on concrete pavement grinding, edge drain, irrigation, landscaping, signing, pavement markings and lighting. Construction activities are going on both during the day and at night. Motorists should use caution while travelling through construction zones and be mindful that the speed limit is now 50 MPH. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Estimated completion is late 2016. The contractor is Pepper Contracting Services, Inc.
US 41 from 63rd Avenue West to 53rd Avenue West: Construction project: Crews are constructing sidewalk; improving drainage; installing lighting, and placing new signs and pavements markings. Expect daytime southbound outside lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from 60th Street West to SR 70/53rd Avenue. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures within 600 feet of signalized intersections from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. FDOT allows daytime lane closures not within 600 feet of signalized intersections between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Highway Safety Devices is the contractor. Expected completion is summer 2016.
SR 684 at Cape Vista Drive: Repair project: Crews are removing a damaged signal pole. Expect turn lane closures on SR 684 and Cape Vista Drive until the temporary pole is installed. Motorists should also be aware the signals are in flash mode until the temporary pole is installed. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 east of Lorraine Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing driveways and resurfacing the roadway. Expect intermittent daytime east and westbound lane closures controlled by flaggers from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Use caution and expect possible delays.