Survey F.A.Q.'s

Answers to the most common questions our Division encounters.

  • Where can I find a copy of my survey?

    Since Florida is a “non-recording state”, Manatee County’s Survey Division does not have copies of private surveys.  Copies of a survey are usually restricted to the Surveying business, client, and third parties.

    It is possible that a boundary survey was provided to the County sometime in the past for a permit application. The Property Management Department, Records Division may have scanned that drawing, however, the copy will be invalid because it lacks the signature and original raised seal of the Florida surveyor. Please contact the Records Division at 941-748-4501, ext. 6888 to see if a record is available. If the copy is legible and complete, it should identify the surveyor or survey company that originally prepared the drawing. Practically, they may be the most cost effective and quickest in preparing a new drawing certified to the current property owner.

    If the County does not have a copy of a drawing, a phone directory or an internet search will list local surveyors who can prepare a new survey.

  • Why does the County survey public rights-of-way and record “Road Plats”?

    Public rights-of-way have been surveyed by the County, or by one of its consultants for many years.  The purpose of surveys is to positively identify the limits of the right-of-way that the County has maintained, or to which other recorded information identifies. Sometime the purpose is to provide needed survey information to proposed or design future improvements, other times is simply for the purposed of documenting in the form of a map the location of public rights-of-way.


    The road right-of-way must have been maintained for the statutory period of time (see Florida Statute 95.361 if maintenance is being claimed) and the location of the limits of maintenance must be identified by a Manatee County Maintenance Supervisor or designate. The Supervisor or designate has or will prepare an affidavit which is recorded with the Clerk of the Circuit Court and positively affirms that maintenance has been undertaken for the appropriate number of years by the County. A “Road Plat” is a map that is also recorded with the Clerk of the Circuit Court and positively identifies the location of the right-of-way. Typically it is common for the map to be a mixture of source documents including subdivision plats, deeds of adjacent properties, and the limits of maintenance by the County. In general when there is conflicting or overlapping information, the County will hold the line that provides the greatest benefit to the public.


    Surveying long projects like a right-of-way typically requires survey control points to be set randomly by the surveyor along the entire length of the project. Those control points do not identify where the maintained right-of-way is located. They are temporary points from which surveyors take their measurements, and usually the position of the control points are chosen simply because they give the best location for the surveyor to take the most measurements. Because the survey control points are temporary, the wood stakes will be removed at the end of the survey project.


  • Is there an inventory of Manatee County Roads and Bridges?

    The provided PDF file is for informational purposes only.  The Maintenance Division of the Public Works Department should be contacted at (941)-708-7497 for the confirmation of the maintenance of a specific right-of-way and the extent/location of the maintenance.



  • What should I do if I know a benchmark is going to be destroyed?

  • Is there an inventory of Manatee County Recorded Road Plats?

  • Are there guidelines for the allocation of riparian rights?

  • What is the North American Vertical Datum of 1988?

  • Has FEMA issued a letter revalidating Letters of Map Change (LOMCs) for the new flood maps that became effective March 17, 2014?

  • Where can I find information regarding the Manatee County Bulkhead lines?

    See Official Record Book 39, page 198, Official Record Book 110, page 637, and Official Record Book 151, page 783.

    See also Plat Book 14.

    Please contact the Survey Division to see if any other records are available.

  • I’ve downloaded a Subdivision page from the Clerk of the Circuit Court’s web page and there is a black streak running through the image. How can I get a good copy of the plat?