Paddle Manatee: A Guide to Area Canoe and Kayak Trails is designed to be used along with the paddling markers in our area waterways to help guide paddlers throughout Manatee County's waters. Thanks to the tireless efforts by the Manatee County Citizen Trail Committee (CTC), the guide also describes local history, camping opportunities, and private launch opportunities, area wildlife, and provides paddler safety information and a resource directory. This guide is a beautiful full-color reference that features over 45 pages of information!
The trails all connect to a 75 mile (approximate) paddle trail system. Detailed maps of seven different sections of the trail are included, along with locations of launch points, boat ramps, amenities, parks, preserves, and points of interest. The guide features GPS coordinates for all sites and also includes "short trip" selections to help readers plan their trip.
History of the Paddle Manatee Guide
- Guide published 2002
- Markers installed May 2003
- 2002 Outstanding Innovation Award from the Florida Planning and Zoning Association
- 2002 Award of Excellence from the Suncoast Section of the American Planning Association
- Nominated for national award through the 2002 National Trails Symposium
- Article that appeared in the Bradenton Herald in May 2003
- Article that appeared in Weekly Planet in May 2003
- Paddle Manatee Article - Article that appeared in Planning Magazine in October 2003.
- Series of blueways articles that also mentioned Paddle Manatee in The Tampa Tribune in November 2004 - coming soon.
- Project recognized by International City Management Association's Ideas in Action: A Guide to Local Government Innovation, Summer 2004 edition.
- Article that appeared in The Orlando Sentinel touting Paddle Manatee in February 2005.
- Project to create 2nd edition of Guide started by Citizen's Trail Committee in January 2005.
- Article that appeared in the Spring 2005 edition of Bay Soundings.
- Article that appeared in April 2005 Naples Daily News about circumnavigational paddle trail - coming soon