Advisory Boards give County residents a chance to participate in County government by providing input, expertise, experience and guidance in the decision making process of the County.
Advisory Boards cover a wide range of topics in diverse areas of interest such as affordable housing, the environment, quality of life, tourism, development, historical preservation, County finances and more.
If you intend to apply, please note the following important information:
- Eligibility for membership on certain advisory boards/committees/commissions requires a valid voter registration card.
- Membership on certain advisory boards/committees/commissions requires financial disclosure or the submission of other information. Florida State Statute 119.07 designates this application as a public document to be made available for anyone requesting to view it.
- Manatee County Land Development Code Ordinance 90-01 states that no member of the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals shall be a member of another land development-related advisory board serving unincorporated Manatee County.
- Applications for all advisory boards/committees/commissions will remain active for one (1) year. Resumes may be included, however, the application MUST be completed.
If you are interested in participating on an Advisory Board, review the list below to find one that suits your interest and then download, fill out and submit the Advisory Board Application.
Currently Accepting Applications for Vacancies
Value Adjustment Board - One Vacancy
Applications due by Thursday, May 1, 2014. For more information please contact Vicki Tessmer at (941) 741-4081, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Manatee County is currently accepting applications for a vacancy for a citizen member of the 2014 Value Adjustment Board which is a public committee that appoints special magistrates to hear petitions relating to:
- Property assessments filed pursuant to Section 194.011(3), F.S.;
- Complaints relating to homestead exemptions as provided under Section 196.151., F.S.;
- Appeals from denied exemptions, or disputes arising from exemptions granted, upon filing of exemptions applications Section 196.011, F.S.;
- Appeals concerning ad valorem tax deferrals and classifications.
Following the Special Magistrate hearings, the VAB meets to consider and act upon the recommended decisions of the magistrates.
The Value Adjustment Board meets at least twice a year on the first-floor Chambers of Manatee County Administrative Center, 1112 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton. Applicants must own homestead property within Manatee County; and must not be a member or employee of any taxing authority in this state, or represent property owners, property appraisers, tax collectors, or taxing authorities in any administrative or judicial review of property taxes.
Tourist Development Council Advisory Board – Two vacancies
Applications are due by May 30, 2014. For more information on this County Advisory Board, call Monica Luff, (941) 729-9177or email email@example.com
Applicants must be registered voters, involved in the tourist industry and have an interest in tourist development; however, the applicants must not be subject to the 5% resort tax in Manatee County.
The Tourist Development Council (TDC) is comprised of nine volunteer members who make recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners on the effective operation of the projects in the Tourist Development Plan and the uses for which Tourist Development Tax revenues may be expended.
The Tourist Development Council meets on the third Monday of every other month at 9 a.m. at locations throughout Manatee County. Terms are for four years.
- 14th Street West Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board
- Affordable Housing Advisory Board
- Animal Services Advisory Board
- Children's Services Advisory Board
- Code Enforcement Board Special Magistrate
- Construction Code Board of Appeals
- Construction Trades Board
- Early Learning Coalition
- Enterprise Zone Development Agency
- Environmental Lands Management and Acquisition Advisory Committee
- Health Council of West Central Florida
- Historic Preservation Board
- Historical Commission
- Housing Finance Authority
- Library Board of Trustees
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse Planning Council
- Metropolitan Planning Organization Citizen Advisory Committee
- Myakka Fire Control District Board of Commissioners
- Nuisance Abatement Board
- Planning Commission
- Public Safety Coordinating Council
- Senior Advisory Board
- South County Community Redevelopment Agency Advisory Board
- Special Regulated Watersports Area Committee
- Tourist Development Council
- Unlicensed Construction Activities Panel
- Value Adjustment Board