Advisory Boards give County residents a chance to participate in County government by providing input, expertise, experience and guidance in the decision making process of the County.
Advisory Boards cover a wide range of topics in diverse areas of interest such as affordable housing, the environment, quality of life, tourism, development, historical preservation, County finances and more.
If you intend to apply, please note the following important information:
- Eligibility for membership on certain advisory boards/committees/commissions requires a valid voter registration card.
- Membership on certain advisory boards/committees/commissions requires financial disclosure or the submission of other information. Florida State Statute 119.07 designates this application as a public document to be made available for anyone requesting to view it.
- Manatee County Land Development Code Ordinance 90-01 states that no member of the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals shall be a member of another land development-related advisory board serving unincorporated Manatee County.
- Applications for all advisory boards/committees/commissions will remain active for one (1) year. Resumes may be included, however, the application MUST be completed.
If you are interested in participating on an Advisory Board, review the list below to find one that suits your interest and then download, fill out and submit the Advisory Board Application.
Advisory Board Vacancies
Currently Accepting Applications for Vacancies
Manatee County is currently accepting applications for vacancies for the following advisory boards. For more information about the specific board see the list below.
Affordable Housing Advisory Board (five vacancies)
Applications are due February 27, 2015.
Manatee County has five openings for the Affordable Housing Advisory Board that makes recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners on affordable housing incentives.
There are five vacancies on the committee open to volunteer Manatee County residents for the following seats:
- Seat 2: Someone who is actively engaged in banking or mortgage banking industry in connection with affordable housing;
- Seat 4: Someone who is actively engaged as an advocate for low-income persons in connection with affordable housing;
- Seat 6: Someone who is actively engaged as a not-for-profit provider in connection with affordable housing;
- Seat 8: Someone who actively serves on a local planning agency;
- Seat 10: Someone who represents employers in Manatee County.
Applicants must work in the field noted in each seat requirement. Applications are due February 27, 2015.
The group usually meets on an as-needed basis on the third Monday at 3 p.m. in the Manatee County Administrative Complex, 1112 Manatee Avenue West, Bradenton
For more information, call Denise L. Thomas, Advisory Board liaison, at (941) 749-3029, ext. 3474, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Services Advisory Board (five vacancies)
Applications are due February 27, 2015.
Manatee County has five openings for the Animal Services Advisory Board which makes recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners on domestic animal policy.
Four of the openings are for seats whose appointment period has expired and for one vacant seat. Interested applicants must be Manatee County residents and must have a background in one of these categories:
- Organizations, agencies or volunteer associations in Manatee County whose primary objective is animal rescue, care and handling.
- One veterinarian who represents all the veterinarians of Manatee County.
- A business organization, marketing skills, financial management, or supervisory experience.
Meetings are held quarterly or as determined by the Advisory Board at a time and location also to be determined by the Advisory Board. All meetings are publicly noticed.
All appointments are four-year terms. Applications are due February 27, 2015.
For more information call Joel Richmond, Animal Services Advisory Board liaison for Manatee County Animal Services at (941) 742-5933, ext. 8303, email@example.com.
Note: those who applied for similar vacancies in May when the original notice was posted and those who have applied within the past three months will be considered. If you have any doubts as to the status of your application please call Joel Richmond.
Environmental Land Management and Acquisition Committee (five vacancies)
Applications are due March 2, 2015.
Manatee County has five vacancies on the Environmental Land Management and Acquisition Committee (ELMAC), a citizens’ advisory committee that makes recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners on environmental land acquisition and management issues, including recreational planning and programming for public lands.
The ELMAC also serves as the Tree Advisory Board to promote awareness of the County-wide tree canopy and tree education programs.
There are five vacancies on the committee for the following seats:
- Three one-year terms for at-large seats available to residents of Manatee County;
- One two-year term for a member of the Florida Engineering Society;
- One two-year term for a representative or employee of Manatee County School Board
Applicants must reside in Manatee County for the three at-large vacancies and the remaining two seats must be filled by an applicant working in the field noted in each seat requirement. Applications are due March 2, 2015.
The ELMAC meets on the first Monday of every other month from 6 - 7 p.m. at the Manatee County Commission Chambers at 1112 Manatee Avenue West. The next meeting is April 6.
For more information, call Manatee County Parks and Natural Resources Director Charlie Hunsicker at (941) 745-3727, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Affordable Housing Advisory Board
- Animal Services Advisory Board
- Children's Services Advisory Board
- Code Enforcement Special Magistrate
- Construction Code Board of Appeals
- Construction Trades Board
- Criminal Nuisance Abatement Board
- Early Learning Coalition
- Enterprise Zone Development Agency
- Environmental Lands Management and Acquisition Advisory Committee
- Health Council of West Central Florida
- Historic Preservation Board
- Historical Commission
- Housing Finance Authority
- Library Board of Trustees
- Metropolitan Planning Organization Citizen Advisory Committee
- Myakka Fire Control District Board of Commissioners
- Planning Commission
- Public Safety Coordinating Council
- Senior Advisory Board
- Special Regulated Watersports Area Committee
- Tourist Development Council
- Unlicensed Construction Activities Panel
- Value Adjustment Board